We won’t be ‘yes men’: UEFA boss Aleksander Ceferin rejects FIFA’s Club World Cup proposals in scathing speech for Gianni Infantino
- UEFA will hold their annual conference in Rome, Italy on Thursday
- European agency president Aleksander Ceferin criticized FIFA’s proposals
- He said UEFA is opposed to the prospect of a revamped World Cup for clubs
- FIFA President Gianni Infantino was a few yards away when Ceferin tried to reach his goal
The feud over FIFA’s controversial plans for a new World Cup for clubs and the global Nations League intensified after UEFA’s president failed to punch in a flaming attack on his colleague’s proposals.
Bosses at FIFA want to introduce more European clubs to a renewed World Cup club and expand the UEFA Nations League worldwide.
However, the controversial plans met strong opposition in Europe.
At the UEFA conference in Rome, with FIFA President Gianni Infantino a few meters away, Aleksander Ceferin focused on the goal, as the biggest problem in global football continued.
FIFA wants to expand the Club World Cup with more European teams
UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin has strongly criticized the proposals at the UEFA conference
In a subtle but scathing speech, the Slovenian shouted ‘yes-men’, who he says are ‘luring leaders to ruin’ and suggested that by resisting the plans, UEFA saved FIFA from itself.
“It is often those who disagree in a measured, reasonable and constructive way, even though they sometimes do so in a direct, uncompromising way, that do them the greatest service, help them move forward and avoid making mistakes,” said Ceferin, before suggesting that the future of the game was at stake and called on FIFA to respect the European body.
By telling FIFA that we disagree with their current proposals for the Global Nations League and the Club World Cup, we show them respect and show respect for football, the game we love and the game we need to protect he added.
“We sincerely hope that FIFA will also show us respect by listening to our views … UEFA and European football deserve respect.”
FIFA President Gianni Infantino was present, while Ceferin focused on the plans
A FIFA task force is currently investigating the feasibility of the two new leagues.
The group, which consists of members of the six confederations (AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, OFC and UEFA) and FIFA, will prepare proposals for the match formats. They will report to the next FIFA council meeting in Miami on March 15.
Past ideas for the Club World Cup, currently played in December with six teams, include expansion to a 24-team tournament that is played every four years.
Concerns have been raised about the financing of the World Cup for clubs.
Infantino has previously said that the plans were supported by investors who were willing to pay $ 25 billion for four of the tournaments, but were unable to identify the lenders, citing a confidentiality agreement.
After reports of Saudi Arabia’s involvement, FIFA denied that it involved any state resources.