Frank Warren has revealed that a fight between Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury is “planned for early next year”.
Boxing promoter Queensberry also insisted a rematch between Usyk and Daniel Dubois “would not sabotage plans for a heavyweight championship unification bout” between the Ukrainian and the Gypsy King.
Dubois was controversially beaten on Saturday after being stopped in the ninth round by the WBO, WBA, IBF and IBO heavyweight champion.
In the fifth round, the British fighter knocked the Ukrainian to the ground with a punch that sparked controversy and much discussion within the boxing community.
The 21-year-old hit Usyk with a strong right hand in the lower abdomen, prompting the referee to call the match off and give the heavyweight champion a time out to recover, believing the shot was in. below the belt.
Oleksandr Usyk (bottom) beat Daniel Dubois on Saturday, stopping the Briton in the ninth round, but was controversially knocked to the ground during the fight.
Dubois (left) punched him in the abdomen and the punch was ruled “below the belt” by the referee, who gave Usyk some time to compose himself and continue the fight.
Promoter Frank Warren doubled down on claims that the fight should be considered a “no contest” and that there should be a rematch between the two men, which is the controversial punch.
Many, including Warren, who represents Dubois and Fury, spoke out against the decision, saying it was a fair shot, while others, including Liam Smith and Tony Bellew, disagreed. agreement online, claiming she was below the belt.
After the fight, Dubois himself claimed he had been “cheated”, while Warren demanded a rematch saying on TNT Sport: “The governing bodies will have to look into this and order a rematch.
And he’s doubling down on that statement today, with the Queensberry promoter admitting his side would demand a rematch on talkSPORT This morning.
He was also asked if this rematch, if it goes ahead, would derail any plans for a heavyweight title unification bout between Usyk and Fury, who holds the WBC heavyweight belt.
Warren replied, “Well, no, really because that fight (between Fury and Usyk), we were talking about doing that fight early next year and that’s still the plan.
“The plan was that the winner of Saturday’s fight would fight Tyson (Fury) early next year, so it won’t last until then.
“Because of the whole situation, you can’t just put Daniel’s situation aside. He was treated unfairly there.
Warren added that he would present evidence to the WBA to try to convince them to declare Saturday’s fight “no contest.”
“Even though all the belts were on the line in the fight, it was the WBA’s turn as far as their proxy goes, so what we’re going to do is gather our photographic and video evidence and present it to them.” What was said at the settlement meeting determining what was legal and what was illegal, and they will have to make a decision,” Warren added.
Despite demanding a rematch, Warren added that a fight between Usyk and Tyson Fury (pictured) was ‘still planned for next year’.
Warren (pictured) reaffirmed his position that a second fight between Dubois and Usyk should take place, but added that Fury against Usyk is still in the works.
“I would like them to say it’s no because Daniel should now have those three belts around his waist, but if we can get a rematch that’s where we’ll get it.”
“I don’t blame Alex (Krassyuk – Usyk’s promoter) for what he says, because they don’t want us to ask for a rematch, but we will.
“Usyk, I have a lot of respect for him, he was a terrific cruiserweight and he’s been a really good heavyweight, but he’s had low kick complaints before, he did that against Anthony Joshua in their fights .”
But earlier this afternoon, Krassyuk spoke out against Warren’s calls for a ‘no decision’ Air sports that Dubois has “a nil or negative probability of success” in his appeal.