On Saturday, Israeli forces killed two Palestinians, as they stormed the Nur Shams camp in the city of Tulkarm in the northern occupied West Bank, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, while the army said it targeted the perpetrators of a “shooting operation.”
The Ministry of Health said in a statement, “Two young men were killed and another was wounded by Israeli occupation forces’ bullets.” And it reported, “The arrival of the two martyrs, Samer Salah al-Shafi’i and Hamza Jamil Khreyoush, to Thabet Thabet Governmental Hospital” in the city of Tulkarm.
For its part, the Israeli army said that the two men “were involved in a shooting attack in Avnei Hefetz on May 02, in which an Israeli civilian was injured.”
“The two gunmen were killed in gunfire after they tried to flee the site,” the army statement added, confirming that two other people had been arrested in the operation.
The Israeli army announced the confiscation of “two M-16 machine guns, military vests and magazines” during the raid.
The Avni Hefetz settlement in the occupied West Bank is considered illegal under international law, while Israel denies this.
The Tulkarm Battalion of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, the armed wing of the Fatah movement, confirmed that the dead were among its members.
More than 108 Palestinians, 19 Israelis, a Ukrainian and an Italian have been killed in confrontations, military operations and attacks since the beginning of January, according to a toll compiled by Agence France-Presse based on official Israeli and Palestinian sources.
These numbers include fighters and civilians, including minors and Palestinian children. On the Israeli side, the majority of the dead are civilians, including minors, and at least three dead Palestinians from inside.