Police have made their first arrest and warned that more will be done in connection with a presumed coup and escape during a violent fight that involved up to 200 youths earlier this month.
One of the two teenagers arrested on Thursday He is now behind bars in connection with an alleged incident in the inner suburb of Melbourne Collingwood on September 2 after a record release party.
A Cranbourne, 18, was arrested by detectives at a construction site in Dandenong in the southeast of the city and charged with ten crimes, including intentionally causing serious injury, conduct that endangers lives and assault and traffic-related offenses.
Police promised to make more arrests in connection with the alleged fight outside a hotel in Collingwood on September 2. The picture shows a CCTV recording of the alleged incident.
Dieu Atem appeared at the Magistrates Court in Melbourne on Thursday, where he did not apply for bail and He was in preventive detention until January 7.
A second man, 18, of Narre Warren, was arrested at a school on Thursday after police confiscated a series of items in his house linked to the alleged coup and fled.
He was interrogated by the police and was released pending further investigation.
A group of young Africans and Pacific Islanders supposedly It exploded at the Hotel Gasometer in the northeast of the city and spilled on the street in the early hours of September 2.
Police claim that Atem was not licensed when he got behind the wheel of a vehicle that was erratically driven across Mater Street and hit David Bilal, who He suffered serious injuries to his legs and remains in the hospital.
Six more people were also injured in the fight, while three cars were damaged.
Dieu Atem will remain behind bars until his next appearance in court until January 7
Atem was charged with 10 offenses in connection with the alleged hit and flight, which intentionally included causing serious injuries, life-threatening conduct and assault and traffic-related crimes.
Police investigations continue with statements obtained from 40 witnesses and more than 70 exhibits seized.
The Commander of the Northwest Metro Region, Tim Hansen, said they will not rest until they find everyone involved and force them to give an account.
"Our work is not done," he told reporters on Thursday.
"It is clear that the community was afraid of the behavior we saw at Collingwood earlier this month, from the perspective of the Victoria Police, it was dangerous and completely unacceptable, so we have devoted considerable time and resources to our investigation."
Two men were arrested in connection with an alleged coup and fled Collingwood on September 2
The police refused to rule out the supposedly stabbing of 19-year-old Sudanese woman Laa Chol in July as a possible factor.
"We are considering that as a causal factor," said Commander Hansen.
"We are keeping an open mind to everything."
David Bilal (pictured) remains in hospital after he was seriously injured in the alleged blow and flight
He understood that Bilal was with the teenager accused of fatally stabbing Ms. Chol on the night of his death.
Daily Mail Australia does not suggest that the injured man was involved in any way with the death of Ms. Chol, or any wrongdoing on the night of his death.
His father has urged that the violence stop.
It's the worst nightmare of parents, you know what I mean. It was Father's Day and the last thing you want is to see if your son is alive or not, "he told the Herald Sun last week.
& # 39; This madness has to stop. & # 39;
The organizer of the event, J-Nelly, told the revelers to show their best behavior in a Facebook post a day before the event, saying that "violence will not be tolerated."
"A moment of anger is not worth a life of bad labeling (sic)," he wrote.
The police refused to rule out the alleged stabbing death of 19-year-old Sudanese woman Laa Chol (pictured) in July as a possible factor
Blood is seen in a car at the scene of an alleged blow and runs in Collingwood earlier this month
Prime Minister Scott Morrison made a scathing assessment of the gang crisis in Melbourne after the alleged incident on September 2.
"We have the largest proportion of the Sudanese population in New South Wales. [But] We do not have these problems. Why is it happening in Melbourne? He said on 3AW Radio last week.
"There is a problem of law and order, clearly, in Victoria, even though we have the same challenges in other cities of the country."
Dieu Atem, 18, was charged with 10 counts related to the alleged coup and escape. In the photo is the butcher shop after
Morrison said it was up to Victoria's prime minister, Daniel Andrews, to make sure "there's a force that's a police force."
"When this control and rule of law in your community is not imposed and imposed, people take advantage of it," he said.
We are sorry, we currently do not accept comments on this article.