Two Australians die after eating contaminated smoked salmon

Two Australians die after eating contaminated smoked salmon – prompting the authorities to issue an urgent warning

  • Health authorities are currently investigating three cases of Listeria infections
  • These cases have been reported in Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales
  • All cases have occurred in people older than 70 years
  • Researchers believe that smoked salmon is the likely source of infection
Advertisements

Health authorities issued a warning after two people died and a third person fought for life because of a suspected smoked salmon infection.

The deaths were reported from New South Wales and Victoria.

The third non-fatal case comes from Queensland.

All three are thought to have contracted listeriosis, an infection caused by listeria bacteria.

Advertisements

& # 39; Investigations implied that smoked salmon was the likely source, & quot; said a statement from the Chief Medical Officer of Australia.

& # 39; All cases occurred in people over 70 years of age and all had major underlying health problems. & # 39;

Listeria information sheet

What is Listeriosis?

Listeriosis is a rare but serious disease caused by the bacteria that can survive and grow on certain high-risk foods

Advertisements

Although it is probably common for people to eat food contaminated with a small amount of bacteria, only a few people are at risk of becoming ill

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms can include fever, muscle aches and sometimes nausea and diarrhea

Advertisements

. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail

- Advertisement -