President Donald Trump is accusing China of complicating Washington's relationship with North Korea, as negotiations over the denuclearization of Pyongyang are stalled.
"China makes it much more difficult in terms of our relationship with North Korea," Trump said at the White House on Wednesday, but insisted that his ties with Chinese President Xi Jinping were "great."
He also noted his "fantastic relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, whom he met in Singapore in June.
President Donald Trump says that part of the problem with North Korea are Washington's trade problems with China
Trump, in spite of a commercial battle, insists that his relationship with Chinese President Xi Jinping was "great & # 39;
Trump also noticed his fantastic relationship & # 39; with the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un
"Part of the North Korean problem is caused by trade disputes with China," Trump said.
Senior North Korean officials warned the United States in a letter that denuclearization talks are "again at stake and could fall apart," CNN reported.
North Korea says the suspension is a concern because the United States is not ready to sign a formal peace treaty to end the Korean War, replacing the armistice agreement in 1953.
But the Trump administration is blaming China, with whom it is also in a commercial fight.
The White House, in a statement sent by Trump on Twitter, said that the president believes that North Korea is under "tremendous pressure" from China, but that Beijing is also supplying Pyongyang with considerable aid & # 39; , including fuel, fertilizers and basic products.
& # 39; This is not useful! & # 39; the statement said.
Beijing is the only main ally of Pyongyang, and the main transit country for any merchandise entering the north. Trump has suggested that China, angered by US trade movements, is no longer as tough as it might be with North Korea.
In the last week, the United States has hit China with $ 16 billion in tariffs on Chinese imports.
Beijing's reprisals will carry the amount of trade affected by the dispute to $ 100 billion.
Trump issued a statement on Twitter about the situation with North Korea
Trump has threatened to impose more tariffs on about $ 200 billion in Chinese imports and Beijing has promised reprisals.
"I do not like to call it a commercial war," Trump said Wednesday.
A note of hope also rang out in a long statement posted on Twitter on Wednesday night: "As for the US-China trade disputes, and other differences, they will be resolved in time by President Trump and the great Chinese President Xi. Jinping. "
He noted: "Their relationship and bond are still very strong."
Trump reiterated his desire to fundamentally alter the commercial status quo between the United States and China, the two largest economies in the world.
He said he had to take a firm stance with Beijing on trade "because it really was not fair to our country," Trump said, casting a shadow over his predecessors who "closed their eyes". To the subject.
In June, Trump and Kim pledged to work towards the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.
But those efforts stalled several weeks ago, and last week, Trump ordered Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to cancel a planned trip to Pyongyang.
Pompeo said on Tuesday that Washington remains ready to participate "when it is clear that President Kim is ready to fulfill the commitments he made at the Singapore summit with President Trump to completely denuclearize North Korea.
Last week, Trump ordered Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to cancel a planned trip to Pyongyang
Defense Secretary Jim Mattis insisted that "no decisions were made" on the suspension of additional military exercises with South Korea
On Wednesday, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told reporters that Washington believes that denuclearization must take place before we get to other parts, confirming that it included such a statement.
In addition, Trump answered questions about military exercises with South Korea and said that "there is no reason at this time to spend large amounts of money on joint war games between the United States and South Korea." In addition, the President can immediately begin the joint exercises again with South Korea and Japan, if desired.
He also promised: "If he does, they will be much bigger than ever."
His statement contradicted his Defense Secretary, Jim Mattis, who insisted on Wednesday that "no decisions were made" on suspending additional military exercises with South Korea, a day after he suggested that the moratorium on major drills was over.
In June, after the Singapore Summit, the United States said that it would suspend the selected exercises & # 39; with South Korea, including Ulchi Freedom Guardian's large-scale exercises scheduled for August.
"The Department of Defense suspended three individual military exercises to provide space for our diplomats to negotiate the verifiable, irreversible and complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," Mattis said in a statement.
"Our military stance has not changed since the conclusion of the Singapore summit and no decisions have been taken on the suspension of future years," he added.