Trump is issuing an official statement asking if Special Counsel John Durham is still alive

0

Where’s Durham? Is he still a living, breathing human? Trump issues official statement asking if special counsel will ever release his report on the origins of Russia’s collusion

  • Trump issued the statement through his ‘Office of Donald J. Trump’ on Friday
  • Where’s Durham? Is he a living, breathing human? the statement said
  • Durham oversees the investigation into the origins of the Trump-Russia investigation
  • He has remained unremarkable, last speaking publicly in February
  • Trump has often raged that Durham did not make high-profile arrests

Donald Trump has issued a formal statement asking if Special Counsel John Durham is still ‘alive’ and demanding to know if he will ever issue his report on the origins of the FBI’s Russian collusion investigation.

Where’s Durham? Is he still a living, breathing human? Will there ever be a report out of Durham? said the official statement Friday from The Office of Donald J. Trump.

The Durham investigation, described by the Justice Department as a criminal investigation, focuses on the activities within the FBI’s Crossfire Hurricane investigation, as the Trump-Russia investigation was code-named.

Trump has long expected it to reveal serious misdeeds by his enemies within the department, and previously outraged that Durham’s findings have not been released sooner.

Donald Trump issued a formal statement on Friday asking if Special Counsel John Durham is still 'alive'

Donald Trump issued a formal statement on Friday asking if Special Counsel John Durham is still 'alive'

Donald Trump issued a formal statement on Friday asking if Special Counsel John Durham is still ‘alive’

Since the November elections, Durham has maintained a remarkably low profile.

He last spoke publicly in February to confirm that he would step down as the highest federal prosecutor in Connecticut but remain as special counsel to complete his investigation.

The 93 U.S. attorneys serve to the satisfaction of the president and are typically asked to step down with a new administration.

Durham was appointed as special counsel in October by then Attorney General William Barr to investigate the origins of Crossfire Hurricane and whether it was conducted on a solid legal basis.

The FBI began investigating in July 2016 whether the Trump campaign was coordinating with Russia to influence the outcome of the presidential election.

That probe was inherited nearly a year later by special counsel Mueller, who ultimately did not find enough evidence to accuse Trump or any of his associates of conspiring with Russia.

John Durham (above) was appointed Special Counsel in October by then Attorney General William Barr to investigate the origins of Crossfire Hurricane

John Durham (above) was appointed Special Counsel in October by then Attorney General William Barr to investigate the origins of Crossfire Hurricane

John Durham (above) was appointed Special Counsel in October by then Attorney General William Barr to investigate the origins of Crossfire Hurricane

Lisa page

Lisa page

Peter Strzok

Peter Strzok

FBI enthusiasts Lisa Page (left) and Peter Strzok were both key figures in the Crossfire Huricane investigation. They left the FBI after their secret love affair was discovered by supervisors

The first months of the investigation, when agents were issued secret surveillance warrants directed against a former Trump campaign adviser, have long been investigated by Trump and other critics of the probe, who say the FBI made significant mistakes.

A report by the Justice Department’s Inspector General supported that criticism, but found no evidence of flaws in the surveillance applications or partisan bias.

Durham’s investigation has led to one prosecution so far. A former FBI attorney was sentenced to probation in January for altering an email the Justice Department used in its application for a warrant of surveillance for Carter Page, a former Trump campaign adviser.

Trump’s brief statement on Friday, similar to many of his tweets, comes after he bragged that his press statements are ‘more elegant’ than tweeting after being banned from Twitter and other platforms.

Trump has remained cautious about the reported plans to start his own social media site, saying on Thursday, “I have many options.”

“Maybe we’ll open our own platform,” he added, but said his new way of delivering press statements was superior to tweeting.

“I almost like what I’m doing now,” he said about issuing press statements. “You do less and you do better.”

Advertisement