Travis Scott slammed by parents of Astroworld victim, 9, after flaunting $5.5M Bugatti Veyron Chiron
Travis Scott has been criticized by the family of the youngest victim of a tragedy in Astroworld for showing off his $5.5 million luxury car.
Ten people were killed and thousands injured in the stampede at Scott’s concert at the Astroworld Music Festival in November 2021 – including 9-year-old Ezra Blount.
Ezra’s family sued Scott before the child died of his injuries, and others followed, leading to a slew of lawsuits.
But as the lawsuits pile up, Scott driving his $5.5 million Bugatti Veyron Chiron Super Sport is causing a stir as the family’s lawyer calls the rapper’s luxury purchases “excessive.”
Bob Hillard, the family attorney’s attorney, told TMZ that Ezra would still be alive today, enjoying his summer, if Scott had spent half of what he paid for the Bugatti on simple security measures at the deadly music festival.
But a spokesperson for Scott said: TMZ that the car referred to was bought in 2020 – before the tragedy of Astroworld.
Travis Scott is seen on June 21, 2022 with his $5.5 million Bugatti Veyron Chiron Super Sport, prompting the family of the youngest Astroworld victim to slap him.
Bob Hillard, the family attorney’s attorney, told TMZ that if Scott had spent half of what he paid for the Bugatti on safety at the deadly music festival, Ezra would still be alive today.
Ezra Blount, 9, poses in front of the entrance to the Astroworld Festival. He was the youngest victim of the tragedy in November 2021
“This latest effort to exploit Astroworld victims and expose the media and the public is a new low,” the representative said.
The referenced car was purchased in 2020 (well before the tragic events of Astroworld) and was widely covered in the media at the time, including TMZ. Misrepresenting the purchase of a two-year-old car to make an unprovoked and unwarranted attack on Travis Scott is nothing more than another desperate publicity stunt to falsely blame Travis and intentionally manipulate public opinion. , which won’t work.’
Ten people were killed and more than 4,900 were injured in the stampede at Scott’s concert last year, a total number of injured concertgoers that was exponentially higher than originally reported, it emerged in May.
Astroworld’s ten fatalities – (clockwise) Madison Dubiski, 23; John Hilgert, 14; Bharti Shahani, 22; Axel Acosta, 21; Brianna Rodriguez, 16; Mirza Baig, 27; Franco Patino, 21; Jacob Jurinek, 21; Rodolfo Engel Pena, 23; and Ezra Blount, 9
Emergency services respond to Astroworld festival in November. Scott has repeatedly denied responsibility for the tragedy
Ambulances tend to the panicked crowds at the Astroworld Festival in November. More than 4,900 reported injuries sustained during the concert
A woman who claims she lost her pregnancy as a result of injuries sustained during the Astroworld Festival crowd-crush is also suing Scott and festival organizers for the wrongful death of her unborn baby.
Shanazia Williamson and her husband Jarawd Owens of Dayton, Ohio, say they were expecting a child when they attended the Astroworld Festival on Nov. 5, 2021. They say they lost the fetus to injuries Williamson sustained at the festival.
In December, Williamson and Owens filed suit against Scott, festival promoters Live Nation and ScoreMore, security firms Valle Services SMG and ASM Global, and the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation.
“While attending the festival, Shanazia was trampled and crushed, resulting in horrific injuries and ultimately the death of her and Jarawd’s unborn child,” the suit claims, “In addition, Shanazia suffered injuries to her shoulder, back, leg, chest, stomach.” and other parts of her body.’
The lawsuit also alleges that the defendants failed to provide adequate security or medical personnel and failed to recognize the dangers of the event’s setup.
Williamson and Owens’ lawsuit is one of hundreds filed against Scott and companies associated with the festival. Scott, his label Cactus Jack, Live Nation, ScoreMore, Apple, the festival’s security companies and the venue itself are facing billions of dollars in damage from people injured at the festival.
The deadly incident caused numerous legal problems for Scott, as well as an intense public reaction to his alleged handling of the deadly incident.
Scott is expected to perform at his first festival since Astroworld in November. He will be headlining the Primavera Sound festival this November and playing three shows, with New Zealand singer Lorde in the lineup ahead of him.
He was fired as headlining Coachella in 2022 and headlining the Day N Vegas festival last year.
Attorneys Jason Itkin, Richard Mithoff and Sean Roberts said 732 victims were seriously injured and required extensive medical treatment after the stampede.
They claim another 1,649 have received less extensive treatment, and the severity of the injuries suffered by 2,540 concertgoers is still under investigation, Rolling Stone first reported.
The filing did not specify what ‘extensive’ or ‘less extensive’ treatment entailed.
They also refused to disclose the monetary damages the victims are suing for. It has previously been reported that approximately 125 people have filed civil lawsuits against Scott and concert promoter Live Nation with a potential $750 million in damages.
Live Nation and the primary security company at the festival, Contemporary Services Corporation, have denied all charges against them.
Scott himself has consistently denied any responsibility for the tragedy in Astroworld.
He will headline the Primavera Sound festival in November and will play three shows, with New Zealand singer Lorde in the line-up ahead of him.