Brooke Crannaford (photo), 26, from Melbourne was visiting the village of Aswan on the Nile when she decided to get a tattoo from a local woman. But hours after the tattoo was finished, Crannaford felt like something was wrong

& # 39; I was very lucky & # 39 ;: Traveler almost loses her hand after suffering horrific injuries from a $ 5 henna tattoo in Egypt

  • Brooke Crannaford, 26, from Melbourne was tattooed in a village of the Nile
  • After she got the tattoo, she went to the hospital because her hand lost all feeling
  • The tattoo started to scar and boil and she was lucky that her fingers were not cut off

An Australian traveler almost lost her hand after suffering horrific injuries from a $ 5 henna tattoo she received when she visited Egypt.

Brooke Crannaford, 26, from Melbourne visited the village of Aswan on the Nile when she decided to get a henna tattoo from a local woman.

Hours after getting the temporary tattoo, Crannaford felt like something was wrong.

She started to lose the feeling in her fingers before the tattoo started to grow into boils and blisters.

Brooke Crannaford (photo), 26, from Melbourne was visiting the village of Aswan on the Nile when she decided to get a tattoo from a local woman. But hours after the tattoo was finished, Crannaford felt like something was wrong

Brooke Crannaford (photo), 26, from Melbourne was visiting the village of Aswan on the Nile when she decided to get a tattoo from a local woman. But hours after the tattoo was finished, Crannaford felt like something was wrong

& # 39; In the beginning, a few hours after it was applied, I really started to feel itchy, and then it gradually became more than 24 hours worse and worse, & # 39; she said Yahoo News.

She hurried to a doctor where she was diagnosed with cellulite, a bacterial skin infection.

& # 39; They diagnosed me with stage 3 cellulite and a serious chemical / second or third degree burn, & she said.

& # 39; I was lucky enough not to lose any numbers. & # 39;

Mrs. Crannaford said it took three weeks for the wounds to heal sufficiently so that she could leave it uncovered.

It took another week before she could go back to work.

Her tattoo, which lay on her left hand and raised her wrist, began to make ulcers and blisters grow and the doctors said they were lucky they didn't have to amputate

Her tattoo, which lay on her left hand and raised her wrist, began to make ulcers and blisters grow and the doctors said they were lucky they didn't have to amputate

Her tattoo, which lay on her left hand and raised her wrist, began to make ulcers and blisters grow and the doctors said they were lucky they didn't have to amputate

Doctors have warned families traveling abroad about the dangers surrounding henna.

Children can get temporary henna tattoos, but unlike Australia, foreign industry is not regulated and the ingredients in the dye can cause extreme reactions.

It is well known that black ink causes henna burns because they contain an ingredient called paraphenylenediamine (PPD).

PPD is usually used in hair dye and is extremely toxic to the skin, resulting in chemical burns, blisters and scars.

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news (t) Egypt (t) melbourne