The January transfer window is closed in Europe, but the teams are looking ahead to the summer and there is plenty of gossip. Transfer Talk brings you the latest news on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, deals done!
THE MOST IMPORTANT: Xavi wants Gundogan at Barcelona
Barcelona is increasingly interested in the midfielder Ilkay Gundoganwith manager Xavi Hernández making a special request to the club’s hierarchy to sign the Manchester City captain, according to the athletic.
The Germany international sees his current contract expire at the end of the season, and it seems unlikely that he will extend his stay despite Pep Guardiola’s desire to keep the midfielder. The report reveals that the people involved in the negotiations over Gundogan’s future believe that he is likely to move on to LaLiga.
Gundogan joined the Premier League champions in 2016 and has made 290 appearances for the club, contributing to four domestic titles, four Carabao Cup wins and one FA Cup. While City are reluctant to let the German leave, it is believed that the club will be looking for midfield reinforcements in the summer, with Borussia Dortmund. Jude Bellingham strongly linked to a move to Etihad.
It is believed that Barcelona will have to cut their salary bill by €200m to ensure they abide by La Liga’s financial fair play rules, however the chance to sign Gundogan seems too good an offer to turn down.
The 32-year-old would add much-needed experience to a young Barcelona side aiming to become a force in Europe once again, following a period of general failure in European competitions.
– Barcelona are not interested in joining a bidding war for the Eintracht Frankfurt defender Evan N’Dicka amid interest from Paris Saint-Germain, according to Sport. The French defender’s current contract expires at the end of the season, however Barcelona are reluctant to join the race to sign N’Dicka, and his current financial woes contribute to this. The report reveals that clubs in England and Italy also have the 23-year-old on their radar.
– Newcastle United, West Ham United and Everton closely follow the situation of the forward Balogun Folarinaccording Ekrem Konur. The 21-year-old has impressed on loan at Stade Reims, scoring 18 goals in all competitions, however his status at parent club Arsenal remains uncertain. With gabriel jesus and Eddie Nketiah Likely above Balogun in the pecking order, the Hale End graduate could be tempted to depart in the summer to secure first-team football. Balogun’s international future also does not seem clear, as interim US national team coach Anthony Hudson confirmed that talks have been held with the striker to switch his international allegiance from England.
– Arsenal is in pole position to sign the midfielder Declan Rice this summer, according to Soccer Insider. The report reveals that while there is competition from rivals Chelsea for the England international, Arsenal lead the race for the 24-year-old. Rice has turned down several offers of new contracts from West Ham, who may decide that summer is the right time to cash in on the playmaker, with his contract expiring in the next 12 months.
– Forward Victor Boniface is drawing attention from AC Milan, report calciomercato. The striker has scored 19 goals in all competitions for Union Saint-Gilloise, and the report reveals that Boniface’s transfer would cost approximately €10m. Milan are believed to be on the market looking for a striker to play second fiddle. Olivier Giroud next season, and Boniface has been tipped as the ideal suitor.
– Juventus are interested in signing the West Ham striker Gianluca Scamaccaaccording Soccer Insider. The report indicates that the 24-year-old is likely to leave the club if the Hammers do not avoid relegation, with several clubs in Italy interested. The Italian joined the Premier League side last summer from Sassuolo and has scored eight goals this season, but with West Ham currently sitting in a relegation spot, they could lose the striker in the summer.