A ‘happy and healthy’ seven-month-old boy who went to sleep in a nursery and never woke up was left face down in a crib for 40 minutes before being found blue and not breathing. .
Jack Loh was being cared for at a nursery in Randwick, eastern Sydney, when he was put to bed on March 4, 2019.
Helen Rateau, who was a subcontractor for Kidstart Family Day Care, found he was not breathing and immediately gave first aid, but was pronounced dead at Sydney Children’s Hospital that afternoon.
The hearing is also expected to make improvements to the regulatory framework governing the NSW childcare industry.
Jack Loh (pictured) was being cared for in a nursery that had left his home in Randwick, eastern Sydney, when he was placed in a crib and left unsupervised for up to 40 minutes on March 4, 2019. heard
Both Mr and Mrs Loh believe their son’s tragic death could have been prevented (pictured together), court inquiry finds
Jack’s parents, Margot and Joseph Loh, testified during the inquest Monday, describing their horror to learn that their child had been placed in a crib against recommendations. news.com reported.
“We thought he was a healthy, happy, normal baby,” Ms. Loh said. “It was a huge shock to find out it was different.”
The Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) advises that babies should not sleep in cribs as they are much less safe than a regular crib.
The childcare organization also recommends monitoring children closely and checking every 10 to 15 minutes.
Little Jack was left unattended for between 30 and 40 minutes, according to the inquest.
The investigation found that although there was a baby monitor in the room, it was not turned on.
Katherine Richardson, Senior Counsel assisting the inquest, said Ms. Rateau had been on the phone for a while – texting, calling her sister and giving details to another parent about enrolling at the center.
The Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) advises that babies should not be left to sleep in bassinets (pictured) as they are not safe
“The next time Mrs. Rateau checked Jack, he was lying face down in the crib with a blue face and not breathing,” Mrs. Richardson said.
The inquest found that Mrs. Loh had left a sleeping suit for Jack at the nursery, but he was not wearing it at the time of his death.
It was also revealed that Jack had been placed in a drool lab – something Mrs Loh said she would “never put him to sleep” because it was dangerous.
Although an autopsy ruled that Jack died of pulmonary hypertension — a type of high blood pressure that affects the arteries in your lungs and heart — the investigation is looking at whether other factors may have contributed to his death as well.
Jack had previously suffered from bronchiolitis and a faint heart murmur, but doctors told the young parents that these conditions were “normal.”
Both Mr and Mrs Loh believe their son’s tragic death could have been prevented, the investigation finds.
Kidstart Family Day Care in Randwick, eastern Sydney, had a suburban home
Ms Rateau and Kidstart have both received their approval to provide childcare canceled by the Department of Education in the wake of the sad case.
Last month, Kidstart was slapped with nine charges related to adequately protecting children.
Ms. Rateau pleaded guilty to failing to protect children from harm, along with other child safety violations.
She was fined $7,500 and ordered by the court to undergo 18 months’ parole.
Daily Mail Australia does not suggest that Mrs Rateau or Kidsstart contributed to baby Jack’s death.
The investigation continues.