Quarantined tourists lounge by a pool and drink free champagne today in a hotel in Tenerife while settling for a two-week stay.
Hundreds of guests are locked up in the H10 Costa Adeje Palace for 14 days to stop the spread of corona virus, the Spanish authorities confirmed today.
The captured tourists include around 160 Britons – with authorities now on the hunt for others who have returned to the UK before the doors were locked.
The guests sunbathe in masks and enjoyed free food and alcohol this afternoon at the hotel pool, after they were told they would stay until March.
Police are still patrolling the complex to enforce lockdown, while some Britons were given thermometers and instructed to take their own temperature, with symptoms limited to their rooms.
In the meantime, authorities are looking for tourists who have already left the hotel and may have come into contact with the infected patients.
According to The sun, at least one Briton who returned to England after staying at the hotel has been tested for symptoms since.
Spanish health leaders gather names from the hotel and plan to send the list to their country of origin, including the UK.
Four hotel guests who left the resort on Monday have so far tested positive: an Italian doctor, his wife and two fellow tourists from Italy, all four now in hospital and in ‘good condition’.
Sunbathing in masks: tourists lounging by the pool at H10 Costa Adeje Palace while settling for a two-week closure after the Spanish authorities have confirmed a quarantine
The hotel set up free champagne for tourists today after guests were told to stay at the resort until mid-March
Food served to guests today included pasta in takeaway meals (left) and a tray of bread, pastries and orange juice (right), as well as bottled water
Guests wearing masks lie on sun loungers and walk today by the pool at the hotel Tenerife
Guests sunbathe in masks and today enjoyed free food and alcohol at the hotel pool after discovering they were staying until March
Two hotel guests with masks wave today from the window of the Tenerife resort where vacationers have to stay for 14 days
A guest with a protective face mask stands today in front of the H10 Costa Adeje Palace window, where tourists were told that they are being confronted for two weeks in quarantine
The health minister of the Canary Islands, Teresa Cruz, today confirmed the 14-day quarantine at the four-star hotel in Adeje during a press conference.
She said 106 tourists could leave today because they were checked into the hotel on Monday, after the first two Italians who tested positive for the virus had already been quarantined.
Hotel staff and guests who live in Tenerife would also be allowed to leave, but would be “actively” followed from their homes, she said.
But foreign vacationers who were at the hotel before the Italian doctor who tested positive for the first time were transferred to the hospital will have to spend two weeks at the hotel.
She told the press conference: “Those guests who have no symptoms can live a normal life with the relevant protection measures.
“Those guests with symptoms stay isolated in their room.”
Speaking procedures would be put in place to ensure they get things like baby diapers and milk and all the necessary medication, she added: “Today we have strengthened the medical staff every 24 hours of the 14 days we have left. cover from us. ”
Officials said today that a total of 723 hotel guests were seen by medical staff in nine hours to analyze their health condition.
The British tour operator Jet2 said today that it had stopped selling stays at the hotel, but would continue to fly to Tenerife.
“Customers who have to travel to the hotel are transferred to other accommodation,” said a statement.
Regional health chefs in Spain have asked the H10 Costa Adeje Palace to hand over a list of guests who were in the hotel after 17 February, the date on which the four Italians checked in the virus.
A spokesperson for the regional health authority said: ‘The hotel has been asked for a list of the names of people who have stayed at the hotel since the guests who tested positive arrived and have already left Tenerife.
“That is, so the information can be sent to their country of origin so that they can manage the tracking of those potential contacts.”
Guests stand in line for food and serve themselves at the hotel today for drinks, many of them wearing face masks
Tourists in quarantine wave today from the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in Tenerife
A British couple, Hannah Green and her friend Court Amys, who are in Spain with their one-year-old son, said the lockdown had been “pretty rough”
A face mask for quarantined people at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in Tenerife
A vehicle is parked today outside the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel, with Spanish authorities enforcing a lockdown and also hunting for tourists who previously stayed at the hotel
A police officer walks outside the H10 Costa Adeje Palace, which is locked after four cases of corona virus were discovered there
Hotel guests and staff are outside the building yesterday after entrances and exits have been closed by the Spanish authorities
Tourists look yesterday from the balcony of their hotel room in Tenerife after guests were held in the building to prevent the virus from spreading
A Spanish police officer set up a barrier yesterday that blocks the road to the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in Tenerife because the complex was closed due to fear of coronavirus
Angel Victor Torres, president of the Canary Islands, said last night that the Italian doctor – presumably having stayed for six days – flew to Tenerife on 17 February and took a bus to the hotel.
He confirmed that the authorities are still waiting for the results of the second tests carried out on the doctor and his wife in Madrid, but expected them to return positive.
The doctor was part of a group of 10 Italians who were the first of the hotel guests to be tested for corona virus.
Two other Italians who belonged to the same group also tested positive and are in the hospital, health authorities in the Canary Islands said.
All four Italians with coronavirus in Tenerife are in “good condition,” Regional Health Minister Cruz told a press conference.
Another 23 Italians were the next group to be tested and tests on the remaining guests were still going last night.
Domingo Nunez, head of epidemiology at the Canary Islands Health Service, defended the decision to keep the hotel closed last night.
With the word “quarantine” that the authorities had avoided all day, he said: “We are convinced that there was no other option for the measures that were taken, at least as a first measure of the spread of the virus.
“It was necessary to set up the first hotel quarantine.”
Closed: The H10 Costa Adeje Palace is guarded by the police. Guests were limited to their bedrooms in the 4-star hotel in a desperate attempt to stop the virus from spreading
Caught: Elaine Whitewick and Jayney Brown (in the photo together) are among dozens of Britons allegedly in lockdown at the Canary Islands hotel
A British couple, Hannah Green and her friend Court Amys, who are in Spain with their one-year-old son, said the closure had been “pretty rough.”
“We heard a doctor came to see us and test us, but we didn’t see any. We are just waiting for that. “
Speaking about her son with Good Morning Britain from ITV, she said: ‘It’s hard to keep them busy in the room. We are really worried that he will get it. “
She added: ‘A lot of people are walking around. Everyone wears masks. They let people sit by the pool.
‘They are a bit stricter this morning and tell everyone that the front door is completely closed. Tents set up outside. We just want to know what’s really going on. ”
Mrs. Green said the family finally got a thermometer on Wednesday morning and told them to take their own temperature.
She said their measurements were normal at the moment, and added, “We have to take our temperatures again at 6 o’clock.”
Mrs. Green said she wanted to go home and added that Tui travel agency – with whom the family traveled – called her and said they will keep her informed.
She said: ‘The hotel has turned it around a bit, they started giving us food and the staff work hard.
“It’s not their fault, they didn’t expect this to happen. They turned it around, it’s just the lack of information that really touches us. We just don’t know what’s going on or how long we have to be here.
Escape: Anthony Wilkins with his girlfriend Sheila Taylor and her daughters Charlotte and Jess. Officials told Anthony Wilkins, 60, that his stay at the hotel coincided with the Italian carriers’
The hotel’s exterior doors were locked with a padlock yesterday when dozens of police officers were guarding the entrances after the warning was triggered.
Letters were placed under the doors of the hotel’s 500 rooms to tell guests that the hotel was ‘closed’ and that guests ‘had to stay in their rooms’.
While some guests had breakfast in their bedrooms in an attempt to force the curfew, many others ignored the stay advice and began to roam.
Those willing to venture into the “ghost town” could eat breakfast at the buffet and use the hotel’s sun loungers, while an improvised distribution station was set up for bottled water.
Yesterday, guests expressed concern that hundreds of vacationers may have been in contact with the infected couple before traveling to their homes in Europe.
The British couple David Hoon and Pamela Scott (pictured together) say they fear that “we are more likely to catch the corona virus” during the closure of the hotel
Holiday makers stand on their balcony, some of them on their phones, while waiting for news during the closing yesterday
A guest placed this photo of a padlock on a door of the hotel, with a police vehicle parked outside to enforce quarantine
People outside a hotel in Tenerife today after it was shut down amid fear of an outbreak of coronavirus in Spain, after an Italian visitor tested positive yesterday
A letter from Tenerife’s hotel staff in which guests, including British tourists, had to stay in their rooms after an Italian visitor tested positive for coronavirus
Those who stayed in their rooms complain about hunger and are forced to survive with snacks with little information about what happened.
Face masks were initially handed out to hotel staff, giving rise to complaints that guests had not received protection against further distribution.
The situation was only resolved later when the owner of a meat company delivered 1,000 masks and 200 gloves for concerned guests.
When health personnel arrived yesterday to perform tests at the hotel, a message was posted at the back gate of the hotel: “Access forbidden for unauthorized persons.”
A British vacationer who recently returned from the hotel criticized the ‘confusing’ health advice from the UK and described how he had been taken with concern since his return to the UK.
Officials told Anthony Wilkins, 60, that his stay at the hotel coincided with the Italian airlines.
But since he returned to the UK on Sunday with his girlfriend Sheila Taylor (47) and her two daughters on a Jet2 flight, they have received wildly conflicting advice.
Staff wearing protective masks arrange bottles of water in the hotel lobby
An employee is wearing a protective mask while talking to guests in the quarantined hotel
Spanish police officers are outside the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in Tenerife
The seller said: “The last thing I want is that I get the blame because I have spread this. The advice so far is terrible. ”
Mr. Wilkins, from Carlisle, called the NHS 111 number and was told that it was not necessary to go into “self-isolation” because he had not presented any symptoms.
Despite concern, Miss Taylor has been advised to go to the NHS hospital where she works as a theater nurse, despite the advice of her doctor to stay isolated.
Mr. Wilkins said: “I am 99.9 percent sure that we do not have the virus and do not panic or dramatize. But I don’t want to get on the train and possibly spread the virus. “
Holiday maker Elaine Whitewick, who is away with friend Jayney Brown, shared videos on Facebook with police outside the hotel.
She said: “This is what we have been offered. Plain water. We have been told that we must return to our rooms. ”
Nigel Scotland, another guest, estimated that “500 or 600 people must have left the hotel and returned to different places in Europe” during the stay of the infected doctor.
The British guest David Hoon, 60, from Matlock, Derbyshire, said: ‘Nobody tells us what’s going on. The way this has been handled is a shame. ”
A team of doctors will stay at the hotel 24 hours a day for the time being. Psychologists will also be part of the response team.
A Foreign Ministry spokesperson said the staff offered advice and support to a number of Britons at the hotel and their families.