Christian Romero and Richarlison “considered withdrawing from Tottenham if Antonio Conte stayed,” the Argentine journalist claims, as the duo’s relationship with the Italian reached a breaking point due to his criticism.
Tottenham duo Christian Romero and Richarlison have issued an ultimatum about their future at the club if Antonio Conte remains in charge, according to reports in Argentina.
The Italian player left by mutual consent on Sunday after a sudden flurry of players after the team collapsed to a 3-3 draw with Premier League bottom club Southampton.
Argentine journalist Gaston Idole claimed that Romero and Richarlison’s relationship with him had reached a breaking point and that they considered resigning from Tottenham in the wake of the club’s president’s brutal criticism.
It is believed that his apocalyptic tirade alienated many of his team, with Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg urging Conté to be more subtle in his comments.
Idol told Argentine TV channel TyC Sports: “Conte’s relationship with the team was very bad and, needless to say, something we can see in his words.
Tottenham duo Richarlison and Christian Romero have considered quitting the club if Antonio Conte stays
Italian coach Conte left the weekend after a shocking speech targeting his players
President Daniel Levy might have had to deal with a player revolt if Conte had stayed on
“Some players gave an ultimatum if he continued. Now Tottenham’s outlook has changed.
And when asked if the players would have issued ultimatums if Conte had stayed, Edul confirmed the theory – before naming the pair who spoke.
And he added: “Yes, I say it because we can say it, and in fact we waited to say it. Christian Romero would have reconsidered his stay at the club if Conte had stayed. As I understand it, the same thing happened with Richarlison.”
Because he treated them very badly, not only face to face or in a private setting but also in public. Conte publicly criticized the players, which caused friction. But now Romero will stay at Tottenham, that’s the plan.
Edul is said to have a strong contact record in South America, with Romero hailing from Argentina and Richarlison from Brazil.
Conte’s former assistant manager, Christian Stellini, has taken charge until the end of the season and will work alongside manager Ryan Mason.
It’s unclear how the players feel working under Conte’s old No. 2, who may share similar opinions about the players.
On Thursday, former Spain and Barcelona coach Luis Enrique appeared to rule himself out a move to north London as the club look for a new permanent manager in the summer.
Tottenham’s season has descended into chaos after managing director of football Fabio Paratici was handed a global ban
Tottenham have also been linked with a transfer for Julian Nagelsmann, who was mercilessly sacked by Bayern Munich last week.
Tottenham’s season descended into disarray on Wednesday after managing director of football Fabio Paratici was handed a global football ban for the club as he pondered his legal options.
Less than 24 hours after the club released a video of the Italian manager – who was in his home country this week – speaking about the departure of Antonio Conte, Paratici’s continued involvement in the Tottenham operation has been rescinded after FIFA extended his original suspension. The 50-year-old has been charged by the Italian Football Federation for alleged financial irregularities dating back to his time with Juventus, leading to a worldwide ban.
Tottenham said they were not notified prior to FIFA’s announcement on Wednesday morning.