What is the BEST tomato sauce? Food experts put popular supermarket brands to the test – and a $ 1.50 bottle from IGA takes first place
- Tomato sauce is a classic staple in the kitchen that almost every Australian household owns
- With so many brands on the market, it's hard to choose the perfect condiment
- The Australian consumer organization CHOICE has put 22 products to the test
- Of the items tested, Community Co. has printed out popular brands as the best
Australian consumer organization CHOICE has put 22 supermarket brands of tomato sauce to the test to find out which one is the best.
A panel of three food experts tested the sauce samples in a blind tasting test and scored them based on taste (50 percent flavor, 30 percent texture, 10 percent flavor and 10 percent presentation) and nutrition.
And of all the sauces tested, IGA & # 39; s Community Co squeezed popular brands into Australia's number one.
Of the items tested, Community Co (left) has pushed out popular brands as Australia's best tomato sauce, while Ozesauce (right) took second place
Heinz big red tomato sauce (left) was not far behind, with the third highest score of 71 percent, while Aldi's Colway Tomato Sauce (right), sold at $ 1.39, scored 70 percent
As one of the cheapest products in the test, the bottle, sold for just $ 1.50, received the highest score of 79 percent.
& # 39; Thick and glossy. Strong acid on the front palate. Great taste. A sauce that is well balanced. Sweet and umami with light tongs, & the experts said.
With a selling price of $ 3, Ozesauce from Australia took second place after scoring 72 percent.
& # 39; Deep red appearance, with nice shine. Nice thick texture. Sweet tomato plant aroma. Spicy herbaceous taste. Depth in taste and richness. Well-balanced sweetness versus acidity & # 39 ;, the experts say.
Heinz Big Red Tomato Sauce, made in New Zealand, sold for $ 2.65, was not far behind with the third highest score of 71 percent.
So how is your favorite tomato sauce stacked?
1. Community Co A Squeeze Tomato Sauce ($ 1.50) – 79%
2. Ozesauce Australian All Natural Tomato Sauce ($ 3) – 72%
3. Heinz large red tomato sauce ($ 2.65) – 71%
4. Aldi Colway Tomato Sauce ($ 1.39) – 70%
5. Tomato Sauce from Woolworths ($ 1.50) – 67%
6. Rosella Tomato Sauce ($ 2.30) – 66%
7. Fontein Tomato Sauce Reduced Sugar ($ 2) – 65%
8. Coles Tomato Sauce ($ 1.50) – 64%
9. Heinz organic tomato ketchup ($ 4.30) – 63%
10. Masterfoods Aussie Farmers Tomato Sauce ($ 3.15) – 63%
11. Rosella organic tomato sauce ($ 4) – 63%
12. Tomato Sauce Masterfoods ($ 2.95) – 62%
13. Rosella Honest Kids Tomato Sauce ($ 3.50) – 62%
14. Heinz tomato ketchup ($ 3.20) – 61%
15. Heinz tomato ketchup 50% less added sugar and salt ($ 3.20) – 57%
16. Coles Tomato Ketchup ($ 2.50) – 56%
17. Masterfoods Tomato Sauce Reduced Salt & Sugar ($ 2.95) – 54%
18. Fountain Tomato Sauce ($ 2) – 53%
19. Black and golden tomato sauce ($ 1.80) – 52%
20. Four Health Tomato Sauce ($ 5) – 51%
21. Three Threes Family Recipe Tomato Sauce ($ 2.99) – 50%
22. Beerenberg Tomato Sauce ($ 4.75) – 44%
Surprisingly, Rosella Tomato Sauce ($ 2.30) finished sixth with a score of 66%, while Masterfoods Tomato Sauce ($ 2.95) finished 12th on the ladder with a score of 62%
& # 39; Beautiful glossy orange-red color, with a faint tomato flavor and sweetness. Taste is fresh and clean. Quite acid finish, & experts said.
Aldi & # 39; s Colway Tomato Sauce, sold at $ 1.39, scored 70 percent.
& # 39; Glossy and smooth. Nice, balanced aroma. Strong onion and garlic tones. Spice tartness / tang. Sweet at the front with an umami finish. Good proof of pureed fruit & # 39 ;, the experts said.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) femail (t) food