Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Toddler, one, left with third-degree chemical burns after accidentally rinsing himself in super glue

Torben Manners from Brighton suffered from chemical burns in the third degree after accidentally flushing himself in super glue

Torben Manners from Brighton suffered from chemical burns in the third degree after accidentally flushing himself in super glue

A one-year-old boy suffered third-degree chemical burns after accidentally flushing himself in super glue.

Torben Manners, from Brighton, was reportedly left unattended at a daycare in Brazil, while his family visited relatives during Christmas.

A chemical in the glue reacted with the fabric of his clothing, causing it to ignite and burn directly onto the skin through the cotton.

His parents now plan to fly him back to the UK to have complex skin transplants on his neck, back, shoulder, chest, leg, and arm.

Torben’s mother Jodie, 32, said: ‘Nothing could have prepared us for what we saw when we arrived at A&E.

“When we got there, we were taken to this room where Torben was wrapped in a sheet.

“We could see nothing of his body, we just saw glue all over his face and around his eyes.

“It was solidified around his teeth, all under his tongue and around the bottom of his mouth; it was just a large, massive mass of glue.

The young person was reportedly left unattended at a daycare in Brazil, while the family visited relatives during Christmas. Pictured: the toddler with mother Jodie, 32, and father Yohann, 25

The young person was reportedly left unattended at a daycare in Brazil, while the family visited relatives during Christmas. Pictured: the toddler with mother Jodie, 32, and father Yohann, 25

The young person was reportedly left unattended at a daycare in Brazil, while the family visited relatives during Christmas. Pictured: the toddler with mother Jodie, 32, and father Yohann, 25

A chemical in the glue reacted to the fabric of his clothing

A chemical in the glue reacted to the fabric of his clothing

This ignited and burned through the cotton on his skin

This ignited and burned through the cotton on his skin

A chemical in the glue reacted with the fabric of his clothing, causing it to ignite and burn directly onto the skin through the cotton

Torben wrapped in a Brazilian hospital after his wounds have been cleaned and treated by doctors

Torben wrapped in a Brazilian hospital after his wounds have been cleaned and treated by doctors

Torben wrapped in a Brazilian hospital after his wounds have been cleaned and treated by doctors

“He couldn’t talk and just cried. He really couldn’t say anything. ”

Mrs. Manners had received a phone call saying that Torben had had an accident at his daycare center near Belo Horizonte in Brazil.

The family was planning to stay with his father’s family for six months.

Torben’s injuries were exacerbated because he had an allergic reaction to the glue and had difficulty breathing.

Recalling his ordeal, Mrs. Manners said: “His face was completely blown up and he was covered with these discs of eczema from the chemicals in the glue.

“He had swollen eyes, swollen mouth, swollen face. His breathing was really awful and he squeaked very strongly. It was pretty horrible, so of course I just cried. “

Super glue is made with cyanoacrylate which, when it comes in contact with cotton, causes a serious exothermic reaction that results in thermal combustion.

When his mother was first called about Torben, she received little information and assumed that he had just eaten some PVA pasta.

She said, “They just said an accident with glue, so we were clearly worried – but we just assumed he might have swallowed PVA or something, because that’s the kind of glue you should have at daycare centers.”

“They didn’t really say anything other than that.”

Torben's injuries were exacerbated because he had an allergic reaction to the glue and had difficulty breathing

Torben's injuries were exacerbated because he had an allergic reaction to the glue and had difficulty breathing

Torben’s injuries were exacerbated because he had an allergic reaction to the glue and had difficulty breathing

The toddler needs grafts to repair his burned skin, because the wounds will never recover

The toddler needs grafts to repair his burned skin, because the wounds will never recover

The toddler needs grafts to repair his burned skin, because the wounds will never recover

HOW CAN SUPERGLUE BURNS CAUSE?

Some super adhesives are made with the chemical cyanoacrylate.

If it comes into contact with cotton, wool or leather, a serious exothermic reaction occurs that results in a thermal burn.

This causes the glue to ignite and burn through the fabric.

Several cases of burns have been reported in children who accidentally spill large amounts of clothing.

When Mrs. Manners and Torben’s father Yohann, 25, arrived at A&E, they tried to stay calm so that they didn’t panic.

But they were so shocked by the injuries that the mother “could not help herself” and burst into tears.

She said: “The seriousness of what had happened was a real gradual realization. I thought how could this be a glue accident if he has all these big burns? How the hell was he burned by glue?

“At this stage we had no idea of ​​this chemical reaction that was occurring. No one really had answers – no one could explain why he was burned by glue.

“They kept saying it was a chemical burn – but this glue says it shouldn’t cause chemical burns, and its wounds looked like thermal burns.

“We couldn’t really get a clear answer why he would have burns from glue.”

The toddler needs grafts to repair his burned skin, because the wounds will never recover.

Currently, the 19-month-old wound needs to be cleaned regularly because the exposed meat has an increased risk of infection.

Mrs. Manners is desperate to bring Torben back to their home in Brighton to have the surgery done by British doctors.

But claims that she has to raise £ 8,500 to fly him back.

So far, Torben’s family has raised nearly £ 5,000 following the launch of a GoFundMe, with strangers from around the world supporting Torben’s recovery.

You can donate here

BURNS – WHAT ARE THEY AND HOW DO YOU TREAT THEM?

Burns are skin damage caused by dry heat, such as an iron or fire.

This is different from burns that occur as a result of wet heat such as hot water or steam.

Burns can be very painful and can cause the following:

  • Red or peeling skin
  • blisters
  • Swelling
  • White or charred skin

But the amount of pain that a person feels is not always related to how severe the burn is.

Even a very serious burn can be painless.

To treat a burn:

  • Remove the heat source
  • Cool with cold or lukewarm running water for 20 minutes. Do not use ice
  • Remove clothing or jewelry in the area unless they are stuck to the skin
  • Keep the person warm with a blanket
  • Cover the burn with cling film
  • Use painkillers such as paracetamol if necessary
  • If the face or eyes are burned, sit up straight to reduce swelling

Burn wounds that require immediate A&E treatment are:

  • Chemical or electrical
  • Large or deep – larger than the hand of the injured
  • Those that cause white or charred skin
  • Those on the face, hands, limbs, feet or genitals that blow

Pregnant women, children under five years old, the elderly, people with a weak immune system and people with a medical condition such as diabetes must also go to the hospital.

The treatment depends on which skin layers are affected.

A skin transplant may be required in severe cases.

Source: NHS choices

.