Tips & Tricks to Prevent Electric Shock

Electric shock is not something to joke with; it is unpredictable and could happen at any time. In your home, chances are almost every appliance runs on electricity. Hence, there is a high risk of an electric shock if you fail to apply safety precautions.

Irrespective of its consequences, it is far easier to prevent an electric shock than treat it after it occurs. This post will reveal some proven tips and tricks to avoid an electric shock in the home. But before them, let’s examine what could cause it. 

What Causes An Electric Shock?

Electricity is a dangerous element, and a study revealed that there are more than 30,000 reported cases of electric shock each year in the United States. Many factors could cause it, but here are the most common causes:

  • Outdated outlets
  • Faulty switch
  • When electricity meets water
  • Mishandling electric switches/outlets
  • Lightning strike
  • Downed power-lines
  • Faulty appliances
  • Frayed cords

How to Prevent Electric Shock

Now that you know the common causes, what are the best ways to prevent an electric shock? Let’s find out!

1. Ensure you test all circuits

Most times, when you turn off an electric circuit, it may not go off. Therefore, it is dangerous to assume that a circuit has gone off without testing it. This is a primary cause of electric shock in many homes. Always use a tester to check if the circuit still has some electric current before leaving the spot.

2. Consider safety first

Avoid carrying out any electrical repair or maintenance in the home by yourself. A professional electrician should perform all electrical works. If you must touch electrical circuits and switches, ensure you consider safety precautions. You could sustain injuries or suffer fatal consequences from electric shock.

3. Use high-quality extension cords.

Most electrical appliances require a high-capacity extension cord to transmit electric current. Therefore, it could be out of place to use a low-capacity extension cord. When you do so, the fuse might get burnt, which could easily cause a fire hazard or an electric shock. Avoid using electric cords that are frayed or damaged too.

We recommend you use extension cords only when necessary. A GFCI extension cord is one of the best extension cords for any electrical appliance in the home. It automatically detects any electrical fault and shuts down the supply of electric current. This will prevent you from getting an electric shock.

4. Avoid anywhere that is wet.

It’s general knowledge that electricity is highly compatible with water. Therefore, it is unsafe to touch electrical appliances or devices with wet hands or if you wear wet clothes. When water touches an electrical surface, avoid touching it to dry it off. Could you leave it to dry by itself? Also, avoid pouring water on the floor close to an electrical switch or appliance. If you do so, you may experience an electric shock which could be dangerous.

5. Use warning labels when appropriate.

Perhaps, you have noticed that a circuit or fuse is faulty, and you plan to call on an electrician soon to fix it. In the meantime, you could consider using warning labels and attaching them on the surface of the circuit where words such as “danger, keep off, do not touch, etc., are inscribed on it.”

This would alert others of the danger of touching them. Warning labels are also appropriate for use when a qualified electrician is working on a service panel or circuit and you want to notify other members of the family.

6. Perform electrical maintenance regularly

Every home needs routine electrical maintenance by a qualified and licensed electrician. This could help detect any faulty wiring or improper connection in the home. Improper wiring can easily transmit electric current to you unexpectedly, resulting in an electric shock.

Also, ensure you replace any damaged or faulty circuits quickly. There is no need to delay as this is paramount to everyone’s safety in the house.

7. Don’t place an electrical appliance on a wet surface.

Keep all electrical appliances in the home away from water or moisture. Most appliances, such as dryers, are not suitable for use in the bathroom. This could lead to an electric shock since water is very conductive. Aside from this, an electric appliance that is submerged in water could quickly get moist and rust.

Therefore, before installing any electrical appliance, ensure the floor surface is dry and free from moisture. It is also necessary to regularly check the area to ensure the water has not spilled on the floor.

Final thought

You can easily avoid electric shock if you take these precautions. That way, you will protect your life and that of others in the home. You can also quickly minimize your electric shock risk if you power off any appliance that is not in use.