WhatsNew2Day - Latest News And Breaking Headlines
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

TikTok is suing the Trump administration for attempting to ban it in the US

TikTok has announced it is suing the Trump administration for attempting to ban it in the US and insists it is not a threat to national security, despite being owned by Chinese company ByteDance, as most of its senior executives are based in America.

In a press release Monday morning before the lawsuit was filed, the company said, “Now is the time when we need to take action. We don’t take government suing lightly, but we feel we have no choice but to take action to protect our rights and the rights of our community and employees. ‘

On August 6, Trump signed an executive order that would prohibit people in the US from making transactions with the Chinese owners of the app – that is, they could download it – unless they were sold within 45 days. He later extended it to 90 days; the new deadline is November 12.

Microsoft is considering buying it, but no deal has been struck yet.

In its press release, TikTok said it has taken “extraordinary measures” to protect US users’ information from the Chinese government.

TikTok has more than 8 billion users worldwide and 100 million are in the US.

TikTok has more than 8 billion users worldwide and 100 million are in the US.

The main personnel responsible for TikTok, including the CEO, Global Chief Security Officer, and General Counsel, are all Americans based in the United States – and therefore not subject to Chinese law.

“The moderation of US content is also led by a US-based team and operates independently from China, and, as noted above, the TikTok application stores US user data on servers in the United States and Singapore,” the company said.

It is further said that Trump’s order was ‘heavily politicized’ and that it has ‘no choice’ but to take legal action.

‘To be clear, we prefer constructive dialogue to litigation. But with the Executive Order threatening to ban our U.S. operations – eliminating the creation of 10,000 U.S. jobs and irreparably damaging the millions of Americans who turn to this app for entertainment, connection, and legitimate livelihoods, which are vital are important, especially during the pandemic – we just don’t have a choice.

The executive order is not rooted in bona fide national security concerns.

Independent experts on national security and information security have criticized the political nature of this executive order, questioning whether the stated goal of national security is real …

“The president’s requests for payment are unrelated to any conceivable national security concern and serve only to underline that defendants have failed to provide plaintiffs with the proper procedure required by law.”

The lawsuit comes amid growing whispers that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerburg – a direct competitor to TikTok – told the president to ban it last year.

Facebook recently launched Reels on Instagram to compete with TikTok, trying to lure some of TikTok’s biggest stars to their platform with cash offers.

The president has not yet responded to the claims, nor has he responded to TikTok’s lawsuit.

Zuckerberg Told Trump to Ban TikTok? Facebook’s chief warned president over dinner about social media app and launched secret campaign to turn lawmakers against Chinese rival

Mark Zuckerberg warned in September and October last year of the dangers posed by rival technology giant TikTok in what, according to a report on Sunday evening, was a deliberate attempt to turn Washington against the company in Beijing, nearly a year before he launched its own version of it with Reels.

TikTok has gained more than 100 million US users and is widely seen as the biggest threat to Facebook’s social media dominance.

Instagram, which is part of Facebook, launched Reels on August 5th. The company went after TikTok stars with huge following and offered them large cash amounts to switch to their service.

In September, Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook, held a series of meetings with political figures, including Tom Cotton, the Arkansas Republican senator and a man known to have the president’s ear.

In October, Cotton and Chuck Schumer, the senior Democrat in the Senate, wrote a letter to intelligence officials demanding an investigation into TikTok.

That investigation sparked concern this spring from Donald Trump – who has now told TikTok’s Chinese owners to accept an offer to buy the company or he will be banned from the US.

Mark Zuckerberg meets with Donald Trump at the White House in September 2019

Mark Zuckerberg meets with Donald Trump at the White House in September 2019

Mark Zuckerberg meets with Donald Trump at the White House in September 2019

Instagram launched Reels on August 5th. It's a short video platform built into the app and has many of the same features as TikTok

Instagram launched Reels on August 5th. It's a short video platform built into the app and has many of the same features as TikTok

Instagram launched Reels on August 5th. It’s a short video platform built into the app and has many of the same features as TikTok

Also in October, Zuckerberg spoke at Georgetown University, describing TikTok as contrary to American values.

“TikTok, the Chinese app that is rapidly growing around the world, has censored protests, even in the US,” he said in his speech.

“Is that the internet we want?”

Days later, Zuckerberg reiterated his concerns about China at a White House dinner with Trump, President Jared Kushner’s son-in-law, and Facebook board member Peter Thiel, who was a Trump supporter, sources said. The Wall Street Journal.

INSTAGRAM POACHES TIKTOK STARS FOR MILLS

Last month, anonymous TikTok stars said they were given hundreds of thousands of dollars to switch to Reels before it launched.

According to the sources, Instagram also offered to pay for the production of videos of some users.

Facebook – Instagram’s parent company – has given them nondisclosure agreements to avoid publicly discussing the details of the deals, it is claimed.

A Facebook spokesperson told The Journal of the talent grab that the company had “ approached a wide variety of creators about Reels in different countries where it is currently being tested. ”

None of the influencers approached were named, but a male user with millions of followers told The Wall Street Journal that he would likely join Reels after being approached with an offer.

Facebook spokesperson Andy Stone said Zuckerberg does not remember talking about TikTok over dinner.

Zuckerberg’s team also contacted members of Congress who are cracking down on China, the paper reported.

He asked them why TikTok should be allowed to operate in the US, when many US companies, including his own, cannot operate in China.

In November, Josh Hawley, a Republican senator for Missouri who also met Zuckerberg in September, said in a hearing that TikTok is threatening the privacy of American children.

“For Facebook, the fear is losing market share on social media,” he said.

“For the rest of us, the fear is slightly different.”

Facebook has formed an advocacy group called American Edge, which has begun running ads praising American technology companies for their contributions to American economic power, national security, and cultural influence.

According to data from the Center for Responsive Politics, Facebook has spent more lobbying overall in the first half of this year than any other company.

“Our view of China is clear: we have to compete,” said Stone, the Facebook spokesman.

“As Chinese companies and influence have increased, so does the risk of a global Internet based on their values, unlike ours.”

Kevin Mayer, the CEO of TikTok, publicly accused Facebook in July of attempting to unfairly destroy competition.

“At TikTok, we welcome competition,” he said in a blog post.

‘But let’s focus our energies on fair and open competition serving our consumers, rather than attacking our competitor – namely Facebook – disguised as patriotism and meant to end our presence in the US’

Last month, anonymous TikTok stars said they were given hundreds of thousands of dollars to switch to Reels before it launched.

According to the sources, Instagram also offered to pay for the production of videos of some users.

Facebook – Instagram’s parent company – has given them nondisclosure agreements to avoid publicly discussing the details of the deals, it is claimed.

A Facebook spokesperson told The Journal of the talent grab that the company had “ approached a wide variety of creators about Reels in different countries where it is currently being tested. ”

None of the influencers approached were named, but a male user with millions of followers told The Wall Street Journal that he would likely join Reels after being approached with an offer.

.