- Tiger Woods will join the likes of Rory McIlroy and Justin Thomas at the event.
- Golf icon withdrew from Genesis Invitational due to illness last month
- DailyMail.com provides the latest international sports news.
Fans will get to see Tiger Woods much sooner than they thought after it was announced the golf legend will play on Monday.
The 48-year-old had his long-awaited return to the PGA Tour at Riviera Country Club cut short last month when he was forced to withdraw six holes in the second round of the Genesis Invitational due to illness.
Since then, many have speculated that the 15-time major winner will play in the Arnold Palmer Invitational or The Players Championship later this month, but on Saturday it was revealed that Woods’ next start will be at the Seminole Pro-Am on July 4. March.
Woods will join the likes of Rory McIlroy, Justin Thomas, Tony Finau, Collin Morikawa, Cameron Young and Nelly Korda along with a host of fans, including NFL legend Tom Brady, at the prestigious event for Seminole professional members.
Woods will play alongside PGA of America CEO Seth Waugh, Thomas and Mike Walrath, with the group starting at 7:47 a.m. ET on the Florida course.
Tiger Woods will play in the Seminole Pro-Am on Monday, March 4, it was announced Saturday
Woods will play alongside PGA of America CEO Seth Waugh, Thomas and Mike Walrath.
The event comes two weeks after he withdrew from the Genesis Invitational due to illness.
It will be Woods’ first time competing in the event, but he has yet to confirm his participation in the Arnold Palmer Invitational or The Players Championship, which are scheduled for March 7-10 and March 14-17 respectively.
Meanwhile, no LIV Golf players have been invited to the event as negotiations drag on between the rebel circuit’s sponsor, the Saudi Public Investment Fund, and the PGA Tour.
McIlroy will join his father Gerry, three-time major champion Padraig Harrington and PGA Tour president Ed Herlihy, departing at 8:32 a.m. ET.
Woods withdrew from Genesis after suffering “flu-like symptoms” and entering his second round with a fever, his business partner and close friend Rob McNamara had said.
He started the day hovering around the cut line after shooting a one-over-par round of 72 yesterday, marked by a hard hit on the 18th hole at Riviera Country Club, which he attributed to a back spasm.
However, McNamara said his exit from Friday’s tournament was not related to his back.
The icon that didn’t make it to the weekend is becoming a show that fans are very familiar with.
“It’s not physical at all,” he said. ‘His back of him is fine. It was all a medical illness, dehydration, and now the symptoms are reversing now that they put him on an IV.
At first, it was believed that Woods would leave Riviera in an ambulance, although a paramedic later reportedly denied that was the case.
In a video clip he was seen with his head in his hands while being carried.
It was another worrying scene for golf fans, who are getting used to seeing the icon miss the weekend since his horrific car accident in 2021.