11.7 C
London
Thursday, June 8, 2023
HomeUSTiger Woods resumes his battle to make the masters cut on a...

Tiger Woods resumes his battle to make the masters cut on a damp and gloomy Saturday in Augusta

Date:

Tiger Woods was in trouble after two bogeys on his last two holes of his second round left him in grave danger of losing the cut at the Masters.

The damp, gloomy weather on Saturday morning sounded a bad omen for the five-time winner and his battle to make the weekend into his 25th championship appearance.

Woods was forced to start early on Saturday morning after his second inning was cut short on Friday afternoon after the horn sounded for the second and final time with bad weather and fallen trees threatening play.

With play suspended for the day, the 47-year-old returned Saturday morning at 8am to pick up where he left off in the 11th.

The 15-time major winner was flirting with the streak cut at over two and seemed to mean business as he returned to the prestigious Georgia track, wrapping up a warm.

Tiger Woods continued his quest to make the cut at The Masters on a wet Saturday morning

The five-time winner resumed his second outing in the rain after play was suspended on Friday

The five-time winner resumed his second outing in the rain after play was suspended on Friday

He's been left flirting with the cut line at more than twice before the horn sounds on Friday

He’s been left flirting with the cut line at more than twice before the horn sounds on Friday

With cooler and wetter conditions on Saturday, there was concern about how Woods would handle freezing temperatures that were said to take a toll on his weaker right leg after his 2021 car crash.

The suspended play also forced Woods to play more than 18 holes on Saturday – if he makes the cut – and his caddy Joe Lacava admitted earlier in the week that more than 27 would be a challenge because the icon is ‘very turbulent’.

However, Woods quickly silenced any doubts as he made his way inside the cut line with birdie on the 15th, draining a shot from center field.

Woods admitted on Tuesday that this year’s tournament could be his last at the Masters.

The 15-time major winner, who has previously admitted his game will be limited to four Grand Slams and maybe two more, has hinted that this year could be his last outing at Magnolia Lane.

“I don’t know how much there is in me,” the five-time Masters winner said in his pre-tournament press conference on Tuesday. Just to be able to appreciate the time and cherish the memories.

“I’m very lucky to have a leg. Mobility and stamina – going forward will never be the same. I can’t prepare and play as many tournaments as I’d like but that’s okay and I’m OK with that.

Woods last competed on the PGA Tour in February at the Genesis Invitational at Riviera Country Club, where he earned a four-under 67 in the final round, his lowest score in the competition since returning from his horrific car accident.

Woods made his miracle comeback at the Masters last year, just 14 months after the single-car crash that left him with serious injuries to his right leg.

Despite the slopes of Augusta, the five-time Masters winner struggled through leg pain and stiffness to make the cut remarkably well.

He finished 47th having claimed 6 consecutive papers over 78 seconds in the weekend, which was his worst score at the Masters.

Despite his exciting comeback, Woods’ competitive appearances have been limited through 2022.

The suspended play will force Woods to play more than 18 holes on Saturday - if he makes the cut

The outstanding play forced Woods to play more than 18 holes – if he made the cut

He made his way inside the cut line with a birdie on the 15th, draining a hit from downtown

He made his way inside the cut line with a birdie on the 15th, draining a hit from downtown

Woods has only managed nine rounds in 2022 due to complications around the limb-threatening injuries he sustained in his car accident the previous year.

Prior to the Genesis Invitational, Woods had not performed in a tournament with a cut since The Open last July.

He missed the cut in the 150th Open Championship at the Historic Old Course in St Andrews, but made the PGA Championship weekend, before having to withdraw after 54 holes.

In addition, he was forced to withdraw from the Hero World Challenge in December, citing plantar fasciitis, but he and his son Charlie competed in the PNC Championships later that month, where he was allowed to use a golf cart.

After the event in Riviera, Woods reiterated his intention to compete in all four disciplines this year, if his body allows, but he will limit other appearances.

“I’m not going to play more major leagues and a couple more… That’s it, that’s all my body will allow me to do,” Woods said at Riviera. My back is the same, all the surgeries I’ve had on my back, my legs are the same. I just can’t. This will just be my future.

So my goal last year was to play in all four majors, and I got three out of all four. Hopefully this year I can get all four and maybe sprinkle a little here and there. But that’s it for the rest of my career. I know that and I understand that. That’s just my reality.

Jackyhttps://whatsnew2day.com/
The author of what'snew2day.com is dedicated to keeping you up-to-date on the latest news and information.

Latest stories

spot_img