Three premature babies died and five more fell ill from breast milk contaminated with bacteria from hospital equipment at a medical center in Pennsylvania.
Hospital officials confirmed on Friday, after research with state health officials, that the source of a pseudomonas bacterial outbreak in neonatal intensive care at the Geysinger Medical Center in Danville was equipment used to measure breast milk donor.
It was believed that the bacterium had infected eight premature babies, including three who died, according to a statement from the hospital sent to DailyMail.com
Zuleyka Rodriguez and Luis David Cepeda (photo) are holding their son, Abel David Cepeda, who was born too early in the medical center on September 24 and died six days later on the same day the hospital stopped using the infected breast milk equipment
Hospital officials confirmed on Friday, after research with state health officials, that the cause of a pseudomonas bacterial outbreak in neonatal intensive care at Geysinger Medical Center in Danville was (photo) equipment used to measure breast milk.
Three premature babies died and five more fell ill from breast milk infected with pseudomonas bacteria (photo) discovered in breast milk equipment at the Geysinger Medical Center in Danville, Pennsylvania.
DNA tests were used to confirm the source and the hospital switched from September 30 to the use of & # 39; disposable equipment for measuring and administering donated milk milk & # 39 ;, says the statement.
& # 39; We have not had any new cases where babies & # 39; s became ill from pseudomonas in the NICU since they made this change & # 39 ;, wrote hospital officials, who also apologized to the parents of the preemies.
One of the babies who died has twins who are still recovering from swallowing the bacteria, says a lawyer who filed a lawsuit on behalf of parents whose baby also died of the infection.
Zuleyka Rodriguez and Luis David Cepeda, a couple from Hazle Township, lost their son, Abel David Cepeda, who was prematurely born in the medical center on September 24 and died six days later on the same day that the hospital stopped using the infected breast milk equipment.
Abel's mother postponed her comment to her lawyer when she was contacted by DailyMail.com.
& # 39; This is really shocking & # 39 ;, said Philadelphia lawyer, Matt Casey, about the outbreak of bacteria and the way the hospital deals with the contamination that is being challenged in the court case.
& # 39; They are an important health system, one of the largest in the Northeast and this specific hospital in Danville has neonatal intensive care, & # 39; said Casey. & # 39; They provide premature baby & # 39; s. This is what they do for a living & # 39 ;.
The hospital was forced to send expectant mothers to other facilities last month while officials investigated the source. Four of the pathogenic babies were already recovered then.
The bacteria are common and often harmless, but can cause disease in & # 39; very vulnerable patients & quot; said Dr. Frank Maffei, pediatrician at the hospital, at a press conference on October 7.
& # 39; This is really shocking & # 39 ;, said Philadelphia lawyer Matt Casey about the bacterial outbreak and the treatment of the infection by the hospital, which is being challenged in a lawsuit he filed on behalf of the parents of one of the deceased preemies.
The deaths, he said, could have been a consequence of the infection that complicates an already vulnerable state.
As a precautionary measure, the hospital transferred babies & # 39; s with a pregnancy of less than 32 weeks to other hospitals and diverted other anticipated deliveries to other medical centers. Full pregnancies are 40 weeks of pregnancy.
Doctors at the press conference said they were aware of an unusual infection in early August.
& # 39; They never told anyone. They never told my clients, & # 39; said Casey, who claimed that if government officials had not intervened, as required by law, & # 39; no one would have ever known this & # 39 ;.
The neonatal intensive care unit is located in a children's hospital that is part of a larger campus. Officials expected it to take weeks to determine how the infections took place, and it was not known if the pathogen had been brought in outside the children's hospital.
Water supply cultures and surfaces in neonatal intensive care at the Geysinger Medical Center in Danville, where all infections occurred, tested negative for Pseudomonas prior to the discovery of the source of the infection
Cultures of the water supply and surfaces in the neonatal intensive care unit, where all infections occurred, had tested negative for pseudomonas, officials said.
Pseudomonas is a common germ in the environment, found in water, dirt and plants.
It also lives naturally and harmlessly on the armpit or genital skin of some people.
The average person is not very vulnerable to Pseudomonas infections, but people with fans or open burns are susceptible.
And it can quickly become deadly for them.
Hospitals are one of the most common infection outbreak settings that can spread if employees' hands and equipment are not cleaned properly.
Worryingly, pseuomonas is one of many infections that are often associated with hospitals and that is becoming increasingly difficult to treat as it develops antibiotic resistance.
Geysinger Medical Center in Danville (photo) had increased water chlorination, enhanced water filtering, performed additional cleaning and changed some of its processes in response to the pseudomonas outbreak.
The hospital had increased the chlorination of water, strengthened the filtering of the water, carried out additional cleaning and changed some of its processes in response to the pseudomonas outbreak.
Seven of the eight babies were born less than 26 weeks of pregnancy, and the eighth was born less than 27 weeks, according to the hospital.
Casey says that the family of one of the other deceased preemies, the one survived by the twins, can also file legal proceedings.
His current customers meanwhile noticed that their baby would be 1 month old on October 24 in a message on Facebook.
& # 39; God has really been our strength and healer in these difficult times. I thank God more than anything and my husband for being strong and also my parents who have been our rock and have been with us every day to verify that we truly appreciate everything and everyone who has written to us and has given us encouraging words, we are really thankful & # 39 ;, the child's mother wrote in the post.
& # 39; Abel would have been a month old today! & # 39; she said. & # 39; But we give God the glory! Always! & # 39;
Zuleyka Rodriguez and Luis David Cepeda are depicted on a Facebook message where the mother noted that their baby would have been 1 month old on October 24. & # 39; Abel would have been a month old today! & # 39; she wrote. & # 39; But we give God the glory! Always! & # 39;
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news