‘There are no impossibilities’: Cristiano Ronaldo sends stirring message to Portuguese fans
‘Nothing is impossible’: Cristiano Ronaldo sends moving message to Portuguese fans as 37-year-old stays focused on World Cup campaign despite explosive departure from Manchester United
Cristiano Ronaldo has expressed that he is fully focused on Portugal’s World Cup campaign after Manchester United terminated his contract.
Ronaldo and United reached a mutual agreement on Tuesday to end their second spell at Old Trafford, following comments he made during his controversial interview with Piers Morgan earlier this month.
However, in a week where everything was focused on the Portuguese captain’s career at the club, the 37-year-old took to Instagram to post a photo of himself along with a message for Portugal fans.
Cristiano Ronaldo remains focused on Portugal’s World Cup campaign after United’s departure
The Portuguese captain took to Instagram to message fans about his World Cup campaign which kicks off on Thursday.
The post read: ‘We are about to start our campaign in the biggest competition in the world. An adventure that we wish to be long and full of success, to fly the name and flag of our country very high. We want to fill all Portuguese with pride and joy. There are no impossibilities.
Portugal will kick off their tournament on Thursday afternoon, when Ghana plays, before matches against Uruguay and South Korea in Group H.
Ronaldo is playing in his fifth World Cup, having scored seven times for his country in 17 World Cup games since making his first appearance in the 2006 final in Germany.
Man Utd and Ronaldo mutually agreed to end his contract at the club on Tuesday and will be free agents after the World Cup.
Ronaldo’s comments during his interview with Piers Morgan made United’s departure inevitable
He parted ways with United this week after his explosive interview with Piers Morgan, where he said he felt “betrayed” by the club and claimed he had no respect for current Red Devils manager Erik ten Hag.
The comments meant there was no going back for the former United number seven, with the club releasing a statement confirming his departure from the club.
It read: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo will leave Manchester United by mutual consent, with immediate effect. The club thanks him for his immense contribution during two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family all the best for the future.
“Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to achieve success on the pitch.”
The Portugal captain trains with his teammates ahead of his debut against Ghana
Ronaldo was quick to respond with a statement of his own, stating: “Following discussions with Manchester United, we mutually agreed to terminate our contract early.
I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never change. However, it seems that the time is right to look for a new challenge. I wish the team much success for the remainder of the season and for the future.’
As a free agent, Ronaldo is now free to sign for a club of his choice and has been linked to several different moves after the World Cup.
Some reports have said that he is considering an offer from Newcastle, while there are suitors ready to offer big money from both the Middle East and MLS.
Much will depend on Ronaldo’s remaining ambitions, but any club will have to compete on the £500,000 a week salary he earned at Old Trafford.
Cristiano Ronaldo will have to think about his next move after the World Cup campaign