A young woman took two MDMA capsules because she was afraid the police would catch her with the illegal drugs, an investigation heard.
Alexandra Ross-King, 19, was with her friends on January 12 at the FOMO music festival in Parramatta in western Sydney.
She was one of six young people who died after an overdose of drugs at music festivals in New South Wales between December 2017 and January 2019.
Alex Ross-King (photo), 19, was one of six young people who died after drug overdose at music festivals in New South Wales between December 2017 and January 2019
The death of Mrs. Ross-King (photo) was assessed on Friday by deputy coroner Harriet Grahame
Her death was assessed on Friday by deputy coroner Harriet Grahame, who urged Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian to reconsider testing of pills.
Mrs. Ross-King bought the MDMA from a local drug dealer and drank with her friends for the music festival.
The young woman did not have breakfast that morning and then went out drinking with friends when she swallowed a quarter capsule of alcohol.
Thirty minutes later, she washed away another quarter with alcohol.
Around 12.30, Mrs. Ross-King saw two more whole capsules consume before she entered the music festival grounds.
& # 39; She told her friends that because she was nervous because she was caught by the police, she took the two capsules at once before entering the room, & # 39; Mrs. Grahame told the investigation.
The young woman (photo) did not have breakfast the morning of the festival and went to drink with friends when she swallowed a quarter capsule of alcohol
The temperature of Mrs. Ross-King (photo) had risen to 41 ° C and showed signs of & # 39; uncontrollable large muscle movements, signs consistent with serotonin toxicity & # 39;
While she was partying the day away, Ross-King appeared cheerfully to her friends while consuming vodka and Red Bull.
It all went downhill around 3.38 pm when she sent a bunch of hectic text messages to her friends asking her to find her.
Eventually her friends found her, and as she followed them, Mrs. Ross-King's breath became erratic and said: & # 39; my legs don't work & # 39; while she clutches her chest.
She was noticed by a doctor who insisted that she be taken to the medical tent where she & # 39; critically unwell & # 39; seemed to be, the investigation heard.
The temperature of Mrs. Ross-King had risen to 41 ° C and showed signs of & # 39; uncontrollable large muscle movements, signs consistent with serotonin toxicity & # 39 ;.
Paramedics placed ice bags on her, but she was insulting and erratic, which her friends consider as & # 39; unusual & # 39; described.
Although she tried to cool her down, Mrs. Ross-King's breathing became faster and more irregular, her pulse increased, and the temperature kept rising.
She was rushed to the hospital and lost consciousness when she arrived just after 5 p.m.
Mrs Ross-King's mother (photo) was present at the investigations earlier this year
Her body temperature had risen to a critical 42 ° C with low blood pressure, so she was intubated and placed on a ventilator.
Within 10 minutes, Mrs. Ross-King suffered a cardiac arrest but could not be saved.
& # 39; About ten minutes after Alex's arrival at Westmead Hospital, she suffered a cardiac arrest, & # 39; said Mrs. Grahame.
& # 39; CPR was started and various doses of adrenaline were administered. She continued a number of cardiac arrests despite the high doses of adrenaline.
& # 39; Around 9:15 p.m., after about 4 hours of CPR attempts, it was decided for medical personnel to stop the mechanical CPR and the time of death was mentioned.
A toxicological report from Mrs. Ross-King discovered that she had an extremely deadly amount of MDMA in her body.
Coroner from the state of Harriet Grahame (center) urged the prime minister to introduce testing of pills at music festivals
The coroner advised NSW Police to swallow drug detection dogs because they could lead to panic intake, double dosing and pre-loading.
Searching comics should only be used if an officer suspected a festival visitor that he was delivering drugs instead of owning them alone, Grahame added.
But police commissioner Mick Fuller disputed that the methods of his troops could make the situation worse instead of better.
& # 39; It is really tragic for this and many other young lives to quit because of drugs & # 39 ;, Mr. Fuller said in a statement Friday.
& # 39; But any suggestion that the police implicitly have with regard to these deaths will be strongly defended by me. & # 39;
Mr Fuller said that the NSW Police remains committed to reducing the supply of illegal drugs throughout the state, including at music festivals.
& # 39; The community cannot ignore the fact that music festivals create a concentrated drug supply market and organized criminal groups & # 39 ;, he said.
Parents of those who died, Andrew Murphy, Jennie Ross-King, Julie Tam, Matthew King, John Tam and Cornelius Brosnan pose for a photo outside of the September survey this year
Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian reiterated that her government would not introduce pill testing, which was one of the most important recommendations in Mrs. Grahame's 180-page report.
"We are convinced that testing pills is not the way," the prime minister said.
& # 39; There are many (other) ways in which we can of course improve safety, reduce the risk of death or injury to young people and there are certainly opportunities for us to look at it. & # 39;
NSW Labor leader Jodi McKay confirmed Friday her support for a limited pill test at festivals.
& # 39; Gladys Berejiklian puts her head in the sand when it comes to tackling the reality of drug use in Australia, & # 39; said the opposition leader in a statement.
& # 39; It is very frustrating that the prime minister refuses to examine sincere and informed suggestions. & # 39;
RESEARCH FACES IN MUSIC FESTIVAL DEATHS
Alexandra Ross-King, 19
The 19-year-old attended the FOMO music festival together with 11,000 revelers in January.
She consumed two half pills on her trip from the Central Coast in a minibus to Parramatta Park earlier this year and another two pills upon her arrival, the survey heard.
The teenager was rushed to the Westmead hospital after showing symptoms of an overdose at the festival and died later.
Joshua Tam, 22
The 22-year-old died after taking an unknown substance at the Lost Paradise festival in Gosford, New South Wales.
Tam, from Toowong in Brisbane, was rushed to Gosford Hospital on December 29 and died shortly after arrival.
The rugby player visited the festival with a bunch of friends, who were later forced to identify his body.
Hoang Nathan Tran
Nathan Tran, 18
The 18-year-old died after taking MDMA at Knockout Circuz on December 16, 2017.
It is believed that he drank four capsules during the event and drank a bottle of water with MDMA.
The investigation found that the 18-year-old got agitated and had to be handcuffed to take him to the medical center.
His temperatures also rose to 41 ° C and he died just 90 minutes after arriving at the hospital.
Joseph Phan, 23
The 23-year-old from West Sydney reportedly had a heart attack and died after using drugs at Defqon.1 on September 15, 2018.
He and five of his friends were pumped & ready to have a good time & # 39; when they arrived at the festival in West Sydney.
He later told his friends that he had taken three to four pills and was taken to the medical tent at 7.30 p.m. because he was extremely unwell & # 39; felt.
Mr. Pham's temperature rose to 39.5 ° C and he was rushed to Nepean Hospital where he died of cardiac arrest.
Callum Brosnan, 19
The 19-year-old from Baulkham Hills was in a & distressed state on December 9 & # 39; found during the Knockout Games of Destiny Dance Party at the Sydney Olympic Park in Homebush, Sydney.
He was admitted to Concord Hospital with a suspected drug overdose and died just over three hours later at 4:30 AM.
Mr Brosnan was recently hired at the prestigious Sydney Conservatory.
Diana Nguyen, 18
The 18-year-old also died in Defqon. 1. music festival on September 15.
Allegedly she sent text messages to her fiancé in the hours prior to her death during which she expressed her fear about the use of the drugs.
She traveled from Victoria for the hardstyle music festival and had left a worried fiancee, who urged her to be careful during the event.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news