The wife and children of George Calombaris are “scattered, teased and bullied” about the collapse of business
George Calombaris restorer and friend, Matteo Pignatelli, said the famous chef’s wife and children were harassed and bullied after his company collapsed.
Calombaris has been plagued by scandals in and out of the kitchen in the years since his television debut as a third of the MasterChef jury.
From a $ 7.8 million underpayment saga, a destroyed conviction for assaulting a teenager in an A-League match and his departure from the show that made him a household name – his somewhat sudden fall of grace culminated on Monday with the collapse of his restaurant empire.
A ‘destroyed’ Calombaris revealed that 22 companies in his MAdE Establishment Group had introduced voluntary governance.
Twelve locations in Melbourne closed their doors this week, leaving more than 400 employees in the dark.
George Calombaris restorer and close friend, Matteo Pignatelli (in the photo together), said the famous chef’s wife and children were harassed and bullied after his company collapsed
Pignatelli said that Calombaris’ wife Natalie Tricarico (pictured together) walked around in public
The only part of the company that is excluded from administration is a chain of four Yo-Chi yogurt outlets.
Pignatelli has been near Calombaris’ wife Natalie Tricario for many years and told it The Weekend Australian the famous chef is ‘very, very family’.
Since Calombaris’ problems have been broadcast in the media, Pignatelli has said that the famous chef’s family has been publicly proclaimed.
“She went to the supermarket and was confused. The children have been teased and bullied at school, “Pignatelli said.
“George told me:” I can handle it, but not Natalie and the children. ” “
Pignatelli also speculates that Calombaris could move to Singapore to remove his family from the bad press.
The restaurant owner said that Singapore would make sense because of the type of schools there.
“The children are the most important,” Pignatelli said.
A ‘pulled out’ Calombaris revealed his ‘personal destruction’ to the crumbling of his restaurant empire on Monday.
George Calombaris came under fire after employees of his doomed restaurant empire came to the fore and only found out they had lost their job when he collapsed on Instagram about the collapse
Since the problems of Calombaris were broadcast in the media, Pignatelli (photo) said that the famous chef’s family has been publicly proclaimed
“Although we have all continued to work tirelessly and have overcome the many challenges we have recently experienced, it is with deep sadness and regret that MADE Establishment has been placed in voluntary governance today,” he wrote on social media.
“To my entire team, I really regret that it has come to that. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your loyalty and friendship.
“I am so sorry that all our collective efforts have not been sufficient. I am moved that it has come to that. “
The announcement came on the same day that Calombaris marked the sale of his country house in the exclusive suburb of Toorak, Melbourne.
A sign of ‘expressions of interest’ was seen outside his house on Monday.
Just a few weeks earlier on Australia Day, Calombaris and his wife sold their vacation home on the Mornington Peninsula for an auction of $ 1.01 million.
The bomb decision to close the activities of the chef comes after it came out last year. Employees at the MAdE site received $ 7.8 million in low wages and superannuation.
The underpayment scandal first came to light in April 2017 when it was revealed that it owed $ 2.6 million in arrears to 162 MAdE site employees due to pay discrepancies that went back to 2011.
At the time, Calombaris was quick to admit the mistake and assured the public that everything would be corrected.
The famous chef and his then business partner George Sykiotis had spoken at the time and claimed that the problems had been solved.
Only when Radek Sali became involved with the company in 2016, more discrepancies were discovered.
The company then reported to the Fair Work Ombudsman in 2017. At the time, Calombaris blamed ‘bad historical processes’.
Calombaris was a judge and host in the popular Network Ten show MasterChef from 2009 to 2019. Pictured with co-hosts Gary Mehigan and Matt Preston
Calombaris went to Instagram on Monday evening to say he was “destroyed” by the company’s decision
But the saga deepened in July last year when it was revealed that the figure had tripled.
Following an investigation by the Fair Work Ombudsman, a number of infringements were found, including the non-payment of split shift work allowances, minimum award percentages and fines.
The famous chef was instructed to give the government $ 200,000 after having paid 515 employees between 2011 and 2017 with more than $ 7.8 million; a decision that many have labeled as ‘too flexible’.
Calombaris apologized to his former and current employees and said he “deeply regretted what happened,” but insisted that he did not deliberately pay his staff too little.
He gave an emotional interview with the ABC after the scandal broke out and begged customers to assist his companies.
A closed sign placed at the Jimmy Grants restaurant in the emporium in the CBD of Melbourne on Tuesday
The closed restaurant Hellenic Republic was shown Tuesday in Brunswick
“I love the people who worked for me and I don’t want them to suffer now,” he said.
Calombaris insisted that the underpayment was a mistake and blamed inexperience.
“I won’t forget that afternoon in 2017 when we were there with my new business partners after we had done a full audit for the company and discovered the underpayments,” he said in the interview.
The hospitality group MAdE of the famous chef had to pay back all current and former employees who were rewarded with wages.
After the announcement, MasterChef viewers called for Calombaris to be removed from the hit Channel 10 show, while Unions NSW started a petition to get him fired.
Calombaris’ decade-long career as a judge and chief at MasterChef ended abruptly that same month.
Timeline of the misery of Calombaris
MAY 15, 2014 – The Ministry of Health is investigating after diners who ate in the Hellenic Republic in Kew became ill. It was later confirmed that the norovirus affected around 100 people
APRIL, 2017 – It was announced that approximately $ 2.6 million in arrears was paid to 162 employees employed by Made Establishment due to pay discrepancies that went back to 2011.
10 MAY 2017 – Calombaris is accused of mistreatment over a 19-year-old fight in a grand A-League final between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory in Sydney a few days earlier
MAY 16, 2017 – Melbourne man David Peter Schreuder sues the restaurant Hellenic Republic and Made Establishment for the outbreak of norovirus encephalitis
AUGUST 17, 2017 – The chief pleads guilty of the attack on the A-League incident
SEPTEMBER 8, 2017 – He delivers his Melbourne Victory No. 1-ticket because of the attack
20 OCTOBER 2017 – Calombaris is fined $ 1000 for the A-League attack
FEBRUARY 1, 2018 – His attack conviction is overturned on appeal after a district law judge agreed with Calombaris’ lawyer that he had suffered significant financial and personal loss and probably would not insult again
JULY 18, 2019 – The Fair Work Ombudsman fined the MasterChef Australia judge and his Made Establishment company $ 200,000 for underpaying staff in his restaurants with nearly $ 8 million
JULY 22, 2019 – The West Australian government suspends its tourism campaign with Calombaris on the Fair Work Obudsman fine
JULY 23, 2019 – Calombaris and fellow judges Matt Preston and Gary Mehigan leave MasterChef after contract negotiations fail
FEBRUARY 10, 2020 – Made falls into voluntary administration