The White House and the government of North Korea are preparing for a second summit between the president of the United States, Donald Trump, and the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un.
White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Monday that Trump received a letter from Kim last week, requesting another summit.
She said the president thanked Kim for the letter and said he was looking forward to seeing him soon.
"The main objective of the letter was to request, and look to schedule, another meeting with the president," Sanders said.
The White House is open to the request and "is already in the process of coordination."
But White House national security adviser John Bolton gave a less optimistic tone when speaking with conservative group The Federalist Society.
"We are still waiting for them, the possibility of another meeting between the two presidents obviously exists, but President Trump can not make the North Koreans cross the door that he keeps open," Bolton said.
Bolton claimed that when Kim Jong-one met his South Korean counterpart, Moon Jae In, in late April, Kim had agreed to destroy his arsenal of weapons within a year.
"Moon Jae-in told Kim Jong-un," Why do not we do it in a year? "And Kim Jong-un said:" We'll do it in a year & # 39; said Bolton, quoted by the Washington Examiner, at the event.
Kim and Trump met in Singapore for the first time in June for a historic summit.
They agreed in principle with North Korea's nuclear disarmament, but, according to experts, progress towards the goal has been slow.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said last month that there is no indication that North Korea has restricted its nuclear program.
Trump abruptly canceled a trip planned by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Pyongyang last month, citing the lack of progress in denuclearization.
But on Sunday, Trump praised leaders in North Korea for holding a military parade in Pyongyang without including intercontinental ballistic missiles.