The toxic chemical 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP) that can cause death is found in popular training supplements

An urgent warning was issued after toxic chemicals were found in several popular training supplements (stock)

Deadly toxic chemicals that can damage muscles, brain and kidneys are discovered in several popular training supplements

  • Urgent warning issued after toxic chemicals found in popular training products
  • The chemical 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP) has been linked to deaths in Australia
  • NSW Health said that products that contain the chemical can be known as & # 39; crushers & # 39;

Kate Darvall for Daily Mail Australia

An urgent warning was issued after toxic chemicals were found in several popular training supplements.

New South Wales Health warned that the chemical 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP), which has been linked to deaths in Australia, was discovered in a number of products.

"Products that contain the chemical are known as 'shredders' and are marketed in the fitness, weight loss and body building communities," said a spokesperson for NSW Health.

An urgent warning was issued after toxic chemicals were found in several popular training supplements (stock)

An urgent warning was issued after toxic chemicals were found in several popular training supplements (stock)

NSW Health said that people could become seriously ill within hours of having ingested the toxic drug.

The chemical increases the body temperature, damages the muscles, the kidneys, the brain cells and, in the worst case, can cause death.

Dr. Kylie McArdle rejected the belief that the chemical could be used safely in small doses.

The chemical increases the body temperature, damages the muscles, the kidneys, the brain cells and, in the worst case, the scenarios can lead to death (stock)

The chemical increases the body temperature, damages the muscles, the kidneys, the brain cells and, in the worst case, the scenarios can lead to death (stock)

The chemical increases the body temperature, damages the muscles, the kidneys, the brain cells and, in the worst case, the scenarios can lead to death (stock)

"There is a myth that if they are used in small quantities, users will be safe, but DNP is an extremely toxic substance," he told Yahoo.

"There is no antidote and, even with our best medical care, people can and have died using products that contain the chemical."

NSW Health urged the public to take precautions and avoid the product at all costs.

Ad

.