Home Australia The text messages that allegedly caused an Australian teenager to take his life, after two Nigerian men were arrested

The text messages that allegedly caused an Australian teenager to take his life, after two Nigerian men were arrested

0 comment
Police believe an Australian teenager took his own life after receiving threats in an alleged sextortion scheme.

<!–

<!–

<!– <!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

Two Nigerian men accused of sextortion that led an Australian teenager to take his own life have been charged.

The boy had been interacting online with an unknown person who threatened to share personal photos of him with his family and friends if he did not pay $500.

He is believed to have taken his own life in 2023 as a result of the threats.

Police investigated the matter before it was referred to the New South Wales State Crime Command’s Cyber ​​Crime Squad, which tracked the alleged perpetrators to Nigeria before requesting assistance from the Australian Federal Police.

As a result of the investigation led by the AFP, in collaboration with South African and Nigerian authorities, two Nigerian men were arrested and charged with sextortion offenses in March.

Police believe an Australian teenager took his own life after receiving threats in an alleged sextortion scheme.

Police believe an Australian teenager took his own life after receiving threats in an alleged sextortion scheme.

Two men (pictured) were arrested in Nigeria by the Australian Federal Police following an investigation into the teenager's death.

Two men (pictured) were arrested in Nigeria by the Australian Federal Police following an investigation into the teenager's death.

Two men (pictured) were arrested in Nigeria by the Australian Federal Police following an investigation into the teenager’s death.

The men were found in a Nigerian slum with a population of 25 million people, New South Wales police said in a statement on Monday.

The men will be dealt with locally, where authorities can prosecute them for crimes committed in Australia.

NSW State Crime Command cyber crime squad commander Detective Superintendent Matthew Craft said the message to young people was that they do not need to suffer in silence.

“We have seen a huge increase in cases of sextortion, which have increased almost 400 percent in the last 18 months,” he said.

“But the good news is that people are reporting it and there are steps we can take to help before it goes too far.”

“We want young people to continue reporting these cases and to never be ashamed to talk to the police.”

Detective Spt Craft said the arrests in Nigeria showed the lengths police were willing to go to seek justice.

AFP Commander Helen Schneider praised the work of investigators and said the arrests demonstrated what could be achieved when law enforcement worked together to fight a global problem.

“Sextortion of children is a crime without borders, as demonstrated by these arrests,” said Commander Schneider.

Life line 13 11 14

Children’s helpline 1800 55 1800 (for people aged 5 to 25)

You may also like