& # 39; A simple slip can change your life & # 39 ;: Mum's horrible warning to parents after her boy, 2, has a broken skull and stays deaf in one ear after a seemingly innocent fall of a couch
- A toddler is partially deaf after slipping off a couch and breaking his skull
- Theodore Bowkett from Perth fell out of the lounge on Monday 8 July
- His mother Kathleen knew something was wrong and took an ambulance to the hospital
- The parents of Theodore were told that their son would have his right eardrum removed
The parents of a two-year-old boy issued a serious warning after the toddler was partially deaf and had a broken skull when he apparently fell harmless from a couch.
Theodore Bowkett was at home with his parents in Perth last Monday when he slipped out of the lounge and landed on his head.
& # 39; Theodore stood on the couch as he normally does to watch his favorite TV, & # 39; Bowkett told Daily Mail Australia.
& # 39; He lost his balance and fell on his stomach and touched his right side of his head. & # 39;
Mrs. Bowkett said her son had previously fallen from this height & # 39; but never so bad & # 39 ;.
Theodore Bowkett (photo in hospital), from Perth, was watching TV on Monday July 8 as he slipped out of the lounge and fell on his head
His mother Kathleen (photo) said that she automatically knew that something terrible had happened to Theodore and was promptly called the ambulance
& # 39; When it happened, he made a cry that no parent ever wants to hear, & # 39; she said.
& # 39; I ran over him and picked him up straight. I knew something was off when he was bleeding from the ear.
& # 39; My partner called an ambulance while I tried to stay calm and comforts Theodore and kept him awake. & # 39;
Their concerns were confirmed when the Bowketts were told that their son had his right eardrum removed, making him deaf in that ear.
Theodore fell badly on the side of his head and touched his ear (photo). The two-year-old must have his right eardrum removed so that he remains deaf in that ear
The family was in the hospital from Monday, July 8, until they were released on Wednesday, July 17
The couple was told that Theodore damaged his cochlea and he leaked spinal fluid for the next six days.
& # 39; He had surgery on Saturday to remove his eardrum and block the ear canal with his stomach fat & # 39 ;, Bowkett said.
Theodorus was also vomiting his concussion, his sodium levels dropped low and he was put on oxygen to help move air that was in his brain due to the impact of the fall.
The toddler now faces a long road to recovery because he needs to be balanced to learn to walk again, attend speech therapy and have to undergo another operation to place a cochlear in a year.
The Heath couple (left) and Kathleen (right) were told that Theodore had damaged his cochlea and leaked spinal fluid for six days. & # 39; He had surgery on Saturday to remove his drum and block the ear canal with his stomach fat & # 39 ;, Bowkett said
Mrs. Bowkett (left) said: & # 39; When it happened, he made a cry that no parent would ever want to hear & # 39;
In the aftermath of the accident, Bowkett urged other parents to be wary of their children while climbing.
& # 39; If you think something is wrong with your child or if they act differently, don't be afraid to take them to ED to have them checked, & # 39; she said, adding that only a & # 39; simple fall & # 39; a life can change.
& # 39; Keep an eye on them as they climb. Let them explore, but keep an eye on them. & # 39;
Theodorus was released from the hospital the day before his second birthday.
His parents have launched a GoFundMe page to raise money for the impending medical costs.
& # 39; We ask for donations to cover the costs of parking, therapy, physiology that is needed, & the page says.
You can donate to the Bowkett family here.
Heath (left) and Kathleen (right) have launched a GoFundMe page to raise money for the impending medical costs
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news (t) Perth