The security costs of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are not paid by Canadian taxpayers and the current financial support ends within a few weeks, police say
- The Royal Canadian Mounted Police protects the couple and Archie
- The protection stops within weeks when the couple officially renounces the royal duties
- Comes after weeks of speculation that Canadian taxpayers would pay for them
Police in Canada today announced that they will stop paying the security costs of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after the couple has officially renounced royal life.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RMCP) has been protecting the couple and their baby Archie since November, but has now said that this will stop in the ‘coming weeks’.
It comes after weeks of speculation that Canadian taxpayers would have to pay the bill to keep the Sussexes safe.
The RCMP stated that it had provided protection to the couple as requested by the police due to the fact that they were internationally protected persons.
Police in Canada today announced that they will stop paying the security fees of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after the couple has officially renounced royal life (the couple was pictured above in London last month)
Harry and Meghan are traveling this year and where they are expected to go in March
In a statement to CBC the RMCP said the duke and duchess who moved to Canada part-time had presented their government with a “unique and unprecedented set of circumstances.”
“The RCMP has been involved with safety officials in the UK from the very beginning.
“Because the duke and duchess are currently recognized as internationally protected persons, Canada has a duty to provide security assistance where needed.”
It added that these protection measures had been requested by the Met.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were pictured earlier this month. It is said that the costs to keep the couple safe continue to rise
“Help will stop in the coming weeks, in line with their status change.”
In January, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that the Canadian government was “not really” involved in negotiations on the couple’s arrangement in Canada.
But he did emphasize that such details would be confidential.
Tensions have increased in recent weeks because there were always questions about who would pay their security costs.
The couple stressed last week in their statement that they need safety “to protect them and their son” amid controversy around the protection costs
The Canadian taxpayer federation had previously given a petition with 80,000 signatures to the Prime Minister’s office saying that the Canadian taxpayer money would not be given to Harry and Meghan.
They will officially leave the British monarchy on March 31.
On Tuesday, royal experts criticized Harry and Meghan’s “unsustainable” security plans and warned that costs were “getting out of hand,” while the predicted bill jumped to £ 20 million a year.
Experts claimed that the couple’s jet-set lifestyle and the move to Canada could not allow the police to travel to different countries to establish their own brand outside the British monarchy.
Royal author Phil Dampier told MailOnline: “The costs of security have always been a major problem for Harry and Meghan and I am not surprised that the bill seems to be getting higher.
“The journeys they do in North America will put a huge burden on resources because they and their son Archie must be protected 24/7 and Scotland Yard detectives often work shifts of two weeks in two weeks.
‘If you add up the costs of having to travel to and from the UK to leave, things can get out of hand and become absolutely ridiculous. So in the long run, I don’t think it’s sustainable. “
Harry Meghan and their son Archie have been in different locations in recent months and it is thought that officers are making new plans to double their protection team.
They have previously been criticized for their carbon-heavy jet-set lifestyle, despite the fact that they often undermine their ecological reputation.
In a statement last week, Prince Harry and Meghan said they “will continue to need effective protection to protect them and their son.”
They caused anger by insisting that the taxpayer cough up “on the basis of the public profile of the duke on the grounds that he was born royal, his military service, the independent profile of the duchess.”
The statement of Harry and Meghan on their website in full
AS AGREED AND INCLUDED IN JANUARY 2020
- It has been agreed that the beginning of the revised role of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will take effect in the spring of 2020 and will undergo a 12-month review.
- The royal family respects and understands the desire of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to lead a more independent family life by removing the alleged justification of “public interest” for media intrusion into their lives. They remain a valued part of Her Majesty’s family.
- The Duke and Duchess of Sussex become privately funded members of the royal family with permission to earn their own income and the ability to pursue their own private interests.
- The preference of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex was to continue to represent and support Her Majesty The Queen, albeit in a more limited capacity, without using the Sovereign Grant.
- Although there is a precedent for other members of the royal family to look for work outside the institution, an evaluation period of 12 months has been set for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
- Under the agreement, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex understand that they are obliged to give up royal duties and not to perform representative duties on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen.
- As agreed and recorded in January, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex retain their “HRH” prefix, making them formally known as his royal highness the Duke of Sussex and her royal highness the Duchess of Sussex. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer actively use their HRH titles, since they will no longer work in the family from the spring of 2020.
- As the grandson of Her Majesty and second son of The Prince of Wales, Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex remains sixth in line with the throne of The British Monarchy and the Order of Precedence is unchanged.
- It was agreed that the duke and duchess would no longer be able to perform “official duties” for The Queen or represent the Commonwealth, but they would be allowed to retain their patronages (including those classified as “royal” patrons) ).
- It has been agreed that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son. This is based on the Duke’s public profile based on his birth in the royal family, his military service, the Duchess’s own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level that has been specifically documented in recent years. No further details can be shared because this is confidential information for security reasons.
- Regarding the army, the Duke of Sussex will retain the rank of major and honorary rank of lieutenant commander and squadron leader. During this 12-month period, the Duke’s official military appointments will not be used because they are in the possession of the Sovereign. No new agreements are made to fulfill these roles before the 12-month evaluation of the new arrangements is completed.
- Although according to the agreement, the duke will not perform official duties related to these roles, given his dedication to the military community and ten years of service he will of course continue his unwavering support to the military community in an unofficial capacity. As the founder of the Invictus Games, The Duke will proudly continue to support the military community around the world through the Invictus Games Foundation and The Endeavor Fund.
- Based on the desire of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to have a limited role as members of the royal family, it was decided in January that their institutional office should be closed, given the primary funding mechanism for this official office in Buckingham HRH Palace The Prince of Wales. The Duke and Duchess shared this news with their team in January as soon as they knew the decision and worked closely with their staff to ensure a smooth transition for each of them.
- For the past month and a half, the duke and duchess have remained actively involved in this process, which has been understandably sad for the duke and duchess and their loyal staff, given the proximity of their Royal Highnesses and their dedicated team.
- As the duke and duchess are no longer considered to be full-time members of the royal family, it was agreed that the use of the word “Royal” should be reviewed as it relates to organizations associated with them in this new context. More details about this below.
- As shared on this website at the beginning of January, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to start a “foundation”, but intend to develop a new way of bringing about change and the efforts of so many excellent foundations worldwide to fill.
- The creation of this non-profit entity will, in addition to their cause-driven work, for which they are still deeply committed. Although the duke and duchess are focused on plans to set up a new non-profit organization, given the specific UK government rules on the use of the word “Royal”, it has therefore been agreed that their non-profit organization will not be named use ‘Sussex Royal’ or another version of ‘Royal’.
- For the above reason, the trademark applications filed as protective measures and reflecting the same standard trademark applications as made for The Royal Foundation or The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been deleted.
- Although there is no jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word “Royal” abroad, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to put “Sussex Royal” or any repetition of the word “Royal” on any territory (either in the UK or otherwise) when the transition takes place in the spring of 2020.
- While the Duke and Duchess of Sussex continue to develop their non-profit organization and make plans for their future, we hope that you will use this site as a source for factual information. In the spring of 2020 their digital channels will be renewed while they present you the next exciting phase.