The thing about children is that they don't do that know things – they are neither experienced nor trained – but they are still pretty smart. And that makes the strategy of the YouTube Kids platform to determine if it has to do with an adult pretty stupid.
Let's go back. YouTube has a mobile app for children, and the idea behind this is that there will be crash barriers about the content there. The idea is that your child can watch Sesame Street unhindered and without encountering Sesame Street parody video & # 39; s or worse. The company has also started an age-specific website the app simulates that. The age gate is trivial to crack.
To prove to YouTube that you are an adult, you must … do a math problem. It's a basic multiplication, the kind that I could do in my head with third grade and I could do on a calculator at kindergarten. Like I said, trivial to crack.
It is actually getting worse! Josh Billinson described on Twitter his attempts to get through the gate. The problem changes with every wrong answer and YouTube does not exclude you. So Billinson always typed the same number until he got it right – forcefully questioning.
Now it is possible that YouTube is intentionally ineffective, because preventing children from logging in and viewing the sweet, sweet content is not really the goal of YouTube. But let's assume that YouTube really wants to keep children out and has not thought very hard about how smart the little ankle biters are. The best way to ensure that you are dealing with an adult is to ask different questions. Some of them may be Googleable, but I'm pretty sure that if we formulate them properly, they're harder to find.
I have some suggestions:
- What is the nickname for the last remaining person in a horror movie?
- Fill in the empty field: Tina Turner famously asked: "What is ___ ____ ___ __ ___ __?"
- What is the most difficult number to call on a rotary telephone?
- What do you have to do to listen halfway?
- On a TV, "bunny ears" are a nickname for what?
- On a standard transmission car, what is the name of the pedal that you operate with your left foot?
- Who is Wu-Tang intended for?
- Complete this sentence: & # 39; Mr. Gorbachev, _____ _____ ______ ______. "
- What is the best answer to & # 39; Hello Jerry & # 39; if you are in one Seinfeld kind of mood?
- Marsha and John arrive at a stopover at the same time. Marsha is from the east and John is from the south. Who has priority?
- Which inferior talent did David Lee Roth replace Van Halen as lead singer?
- How many digits are in a social security number?
- What was Weezer's controversial sequel to the Blue Album?
- Which TV show does the phrase "jump the shark" come from?
- American athlete Michelle Kwan won two Olympic medals in which sport?
- Complete this sentence: "Jet fuel cannot ____ ____ ____."
- In 1991, which singer's performance of the American national anthem was so moving that it was eventually released as a single?
- Who won the format wars, VHS or Beta?
- The Walkman, first released in 1979, worked with which two-piece piece of technology?
- In The excellent adventure of Bill and Ted, what is the famous slogan of Keanu Reeves?
- Dr. Dre was a member of which pioneering hip hop group?
- You play The Oregon Trail. Are you fording the river with your oxen?
- Before computers, what was the two-word system used in libraries to find books?
- What is the name of the document that employers must send to employees to report their income?