The Duke and Duchess of Sussex no longer have an office at Buckingham Palace from April, it was unveiled today as preparations for “Megxit” continue.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be represented by their British foundation team that continues after their decision last month to resign as senior royals.
Harry retains the rank of major, lieutenant commander and squadron leader – but his honorary positions are not used during a 12-month trial period.
The couple is expected to complete their final duties on March 9 before they officially leave the company on March 31.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are depicted as they leave Canada House on January 7
The Sussexes are expected to be in Britain regularly with Harry at an Invictus Games event with pop star Jon Bon Jovi on 28 February.
Harry and Meghan will then attend the Endeavor Fund awards on March 5, and Harry will be at Silverstone with driver Lewis Hamilton on March 6.
They will both be at the Mountbatten Festival of Music on March 7 and Meghan will mark International Women’s Day on March 8.
The couple will join the Queen and the Royal Family for the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on March 9.
Their new life officially begins on March 31 and their operation at Buckingham Palace ends on April 1.
Prince Harry (left yesterday at a local market on Vancouver Island) and Meghan Markle (right, in an undated file photo) will be represented by their British foundation team
A spokesperson for the Sussexes said the couple would announce the details of their new non-profit organization later this year.
What happens when Prince Harry and Meghan step down?
February 28: Harry is participating in an Invictus Games event with Jon Bon Jovi
March 5th: Harry and Meghan will then attend the Endeavor Fund awards
6 March: Harry will be at Silverstone with driver Lewis Hamilton
March 7th: Harry and Meghan will attend the Mountbatten Festival of Music
8 March: Meghan marks International Women’s Day
9th of March: The couple joins the Queen and the Royal Family for the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey
April 1st: The Sussexes no longer have an office in Buckingham Palace
She said they would continue to work with their existing patrons while drawing up a commitment plan in the UK and the Commonwealth throughout the year.
The Duke and Duchess would also have held meetings as part of their ongoing work to establish their new non-profit organization.
Harry and Meghan plunged the royal family into a crisis period when they announced earlier in the year that they wanted to retire as senior royals and become financially independent.
A summit of high royals was convened by the Queen in Sandringham to discuss the matter, with Harry sitting down for conversations with his grandmother, father the Prince of Wales and brother the Duke of Cambridge.
It was later announced that they would no longer be members of the monarchy, divide their time between Canada and the UK, the majority of whom would spend in North America, and would no longer be known as HRH.
Despite the unprecedented relocation, the couple will collectively preserve the themes of their public work – the Commonwealth, the community, youth empowerment and mental health.
The Queen today visits the Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals in London
The couple’s spokeswoman said that Harry’s priorities continue to support military and women’s well-being, nature conservation, sport for social development, HIV and Travalyst, which works to mobilize the tourism and travel industry for social well-being.
For Meghan, her attention remains focused on women’s empowerment, gender equality and education.
It comes after the Daily Mail today revealed that the Sussex people should drop their ‘Sussex Royal’ label after they have decided to resign as working royals.
After lengthy and complex conversations, the Queen and senior officials are supposed to have agreed that it is no longer tenable for the couple to keep the word ‘royal’ in their ‘branding’.
Harry and Meghan have spent tens of thousands of pounds on a new Sussex Royal website in addition to their hugely popular Instagram feed.
The Sussex Royal logo that Harry and Meghan use on their Instagram page and website
They have also attempted to register Sussex Royal as a global trademark for a range of items and activities, including clothing, stationery, books, and teaching materials.
In addition, they have taken steps to found a new charity organization: Sussex Royal, The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
How Harry and Meghan continued to use the ‘Sussex Royal’ brand name to promote future businesses
After their official duties resigned, Harry and Meghan continued to use the ‘Sussex Royal’ brand name to promote their future businesses.
The duke and duchess have an Instagram account called Sussexroyal and last month they launched a website called Sussexroyal.com.
Both wear shiny photos of the couple and use a figure of their initials entwined under a crown.
Their charity, called Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, is expected to be launched in April.
They are expected to await the start of the UK financial year before disclosing their plans to establish a non-profit organization similar to that of Barack and Michelle Obama, Bill and Hilary Clinton and Bill and Melinda Gates.
During a six-week Christmas holiday in Canada, the couple noticed their brand name on more than 100 articles, from teaching materials and emotional support groups to clothing and even newspapers.
While stamping the Sussex Royal name on a list of goods and services, royal viewers saw it as an attempt to turn their brand into a global empire.
Documents published by the Intellectual Property Office reveal that among the articles that have so far been trademarks, instructional and teaching materials, printed educational material, printed publications, educational books, study books, magazines and newsletters.
Also on the list are clothing, footwear, headwear, t-shirts, jackets, coats, anoraks, pants, sweaters, jerseys, dresses, pajamas, suits, sweaters, hooded tops, hats, hats, bandanas, headbands, socks, scarves and ties, gloves, sportswear.
The list also shows that the royal couple hopes for the title of developing and coordinating charity volunteer projects, offering volunteering opportunities and recruiting volunteers, as well as information, advisory and advisory services.
Now it has been made clear that they must ‘re-brand’.
The Mail understands that, in the midst of what has been described as a ‘complex’ situation, the ‘fine detail’ is still being thrown away.
However, it is understood that the couple has accepted that, as part of their new work arrangements, they cannot use the Sussex Royal name as they had hoped.
The development would mean a big blow to the Sussex people, who now start again and re-register everything from their website to their charity under a new label.
Harry and Meghan started using the Sussex Royal branding for the first time last year after separating their household from that of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – known as Kensington Royal.
The Sussexes’ Instagram page, @sussexroyal, has collected 11.2 million followers – the same number of fans as William and Kate’s account.
It was therefore a natural development for Harry and Meghan to use the name for their new charity foundation, which is being launched this year with the support of Buckingham Palace.
And while they were secretly preparing for a new life in Canada, it was clear that Sussex Royal was at the forefront of Harry and Meghan’s plans.
Dozens of trademark applications have been made for everything from bandanas to notebooks, although sources have always emphasized that these were preventive measures to protect the trademark against others and were never intended for commercial use.
The couple has also started using a new website. It went live last month with their announcement of the bomb, with the introduction: “Welcome to the Sussex Royal community, your source for information about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”
The couple’s decision to resign as senior working royals and pursue “financial independence” has put a spanner in the works of Sussex Royal.
It placed the queen in an unpleasant position, given her old belief of refusing to allow working family members to take advantage of their positions.
The announcement of Her Majesty’s decision to allow her grandson and his wife to lead a new life abroad made it clear to officials that the title of Sussex Royal still had to be re-evaluated.
All members of the family – including Harry and Meghan – were involved in the discussions and it is understood that they all agreed that, in view of Sussexes’ decision to take a step back , would question their use of the word “royal.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex no longer have an office at Buckingham Palace in London
Now, in addition to giving up their HRH titles for work, the Sussex Royal brand will have to be given up. That is the sensitivity of the issue, Buckingham Palace officials would not discuss developments last night.
A source told the Mail: “In many ways, this is inevitable given their decision to resign, but it must certainly be a blow to the couple because they have invested everything in the Sussex Royal brand. However, the queen would have had little choice.
The original plan of ‘The Sussexes’ – half-in, half-working royals – would never work. As the queen has made clear, they are of course still very beloved members of her family.
“But if they don’t perform official duties and are now looking for other commercial opportunities, they simply cannot be allowed to market themselves as royals.”
The couple would “not regret” their decision to step down.
Discussions about their charity foundation brought them to the prestigious Stanford University in California last week.
The foundation was expected to be launched in April, with the couple expecting to model the non-profit plan on that of Barack and Michelle Obama, Bill and Hilary Clinton and Bill and Melinda Gates.
The Sussexes also recently appeared at a conference in Miami organized by banking giant JP Morgan.
They are said to have eaten with Jennifer Lopez after they flew in from the company’s private jet from Vancouver – despite having previously called on the world to embrace more environmentally friendly ways of traveling.
A social media user explained the Sussex Royal brand situation and joked that the couple could ask for the H&M title instead in reference to the popular High Street store
The news has divided the public, and some agree that they should not continue to use the word ‘royal’ in their ‘branding’
Local media reported that Harry appeared on stage with his wife and Gayle King, an American television presenter who attended Meghan’s baby shower last year.
It remains unclear whether the Sussex people were paid for their appearance at the top-only summit, but experts said it could have earned the pair up to £ 775,000.
A spokesperson for the pair was asked by MailOnline when the pair could no longer use the Sussex Royal name, but it is expected that this could be from April.
Last week, the Mail revealed that Harry and Meghan had 15 staff members together and had closed their Buckingham Palace office that the couple and their son Archie would probably never return to the UK to live.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex personally brought the news to their team in January following the announcement that they were resigning as senior working royals.
Although one or two can be returned to the royal household, most are now negotiating dismissal packages. They are the last victims of Harry and Meghan’s bomb decision to move to North America and make their fortune outside the royal family.
Among those losing their jobs are the newly appointed private secretary of the couple, Fiona Mcilwham – although she is seconded to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Commonwealth and is likely to find a role in Whitehall – and their hugely experienced communications head Sara Latham.
Prince Harry and wife Meghan wave goodbye after their wedding ceremony in Windsor in May 2018
Harry’s years of program coordinator Clara Loughran, who was so well appreciated by the prince that she was asked to give Meghan her bouquet in church on her wedding day, will go.
Like Miss Latham – who previously worked for the Obamas and was Hillary Clinton’s senior campaign advisor – her deputy assistant secretary Marnie Gaffney is expected to leave.
As a much-loved and long-standing member of Buckingham Palace’s press staff, she played an important role in supporting Harry in his military work and he and Meghan organized hugely successful official trips to Australia and Africa.
The Queen made her a member of the Royal Victorian Order for her dedicated service.
The other press officer who loses her job is Julie Burley, who worked for Harry, William and Kate on their successful mental health campaign Heads Together.
David Watkins, poached by fashion house Burberry in August as an expert on social media, is also absent.