Man in his nineties dies of the coronavirus in Victoria and brings the death toll of Australia to 105
A man in his 90s died after contracting the coronavirus in Victoria, bringing the death toll to 105.
On Sunday, the state registered another 127 new cases of the deadly respiratory infection.
Victoria is in the middle of a second wave of COVID-19, after nearly three weeks of “unacceptably high” new diagnoses.
On Monday, Victorian Prime Minister Daniel Andrews confirmed the latest fatality.
“Unfortunately, it is my duty to inform you that a man in his nineties died overnight. He was being cared for by one of his hospitals, ”Andrews said during his morning press conference.
“We send our condolences and best wishes to his family and loved ones, his friends, this will be a difficult day for them.”
Mr. Andrews said he would not provide his family with any further details about the man’s identity “out of respect”.
There are 31 more Victorians still in the hospital with COVID-19, including five who remain in intensive care.
Of the 127 new cases picked up yesterday, 44 are linked to previously known and containing outbreaks.
Another 40 are the result of routine tests, while 53 are being investigated.
At Monday’s press conference, Mr. Andrews also announced that the Victoria-New South Wales border would close at midnight on Tuesday.
More to come.