The man in his sixties dies of the coronavirus, bringing the national death toll to 102
A man in his sixties has become the 19th person to die of the coronavirus in Victoria, bringing the national death toll to 102.
Victoria’s Deputy Chief Health Officer Dr. Annaliese van Diemen confirmed on Saturday that another man had lost his life to the disease in the state, which had 1,602 cases of COVID-19
“Our condolences are with this person’s family and friends,” she said.
Authorities have not revealed how the man contracted the virus, citing his family’s request for privacy.
Victoria has registered 10 new COVID-19 cases since Friday, bringing the total number in the state to 1 602.
Nine patients are currently in hospital, including three in intensive care.
None of the new cases are related to outbreaks at Cedar Meats or Fawkner McDonalds, but investigations are still ongoing.
Given the community’s broadcasts, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said anyone with even mild symptoms should be tested for coronavirus.
“The more tests we do, the more data we have about the prevalence of coronavirus in the community,” he said.
The state is starting to reopen, with schools opening again from Tuesday for students in year 2 and year 11 and 12.
Last year students are assured that final exams will be completed this year and that plans for 2021 can proceed as planned.
The Victorian government confirmed on Friday that the Victorian Certificate of Education exams would be completed in early December, just two weeks after the pre-pandemic date.
More to come.