The man barricades himself at the Connecticut hair salon and fires shots at the shopping plaza, injuring one
BREAKING NEWS: Man barricades himself in Connecticut hair salon and fires shots in shopping plaza, injuring at least one
- Police respond to reports of a gunman at a hair salon in Branford
- Local media report that a man inside fires shots at the officers outside
- At least one person has been hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries
- The police were called just after noon with reports of a man shooting from the inside
- A stalemate lasts more than five hours, with a man calling the police “Matt.”
Connecticut police respond to an active shooting in Branford and try to end a deadlock that began more than five hours ago.
Local station WTNH reports that a person has been barricaded at a hair salon near Main Street and Cherry Hill Road in the coastal town, shooting police officers.
At least one person was taken to hospital with injuries believed to be not life-threatening, Branford police said.
SWAT teams and Connecticut State Police assist local agents.
Witnesses told the station that a man the police call “Matt” said Fox 61 News, also shoots people in the shopping plaza.
The situation started in the afternoon, when the police received the first emergency calls.
The responding officers received heavy gunfire from the top floors of the building.
Some residents in the area have been evacuated.
Branford, a city of 28,000 inhabitants, is located six miles east of New Haven, on the Long Island Sound.
Connecticut police respond to reports of a gunman shooting people from a hair salon