Kenosha agent who shot Jacob Blake in the back and paralyzed him will NOT be punished or charged and is BACK on duty
- Officer Rusten Sheskey shot Jacob Blake, 29, seven times in the back on August 23 and was paralyzed from the waist down
- Sheskey was placed on administrative leave after the incident, but returned to work on March 31
- Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley had announced in January that the office would not charge Sheskey with a crime for the shooting
- Police said Sheskey ‘acted in accordance with law and consistent with training’
The Wisconsin police officer who shot Jacob Blake in Kenosha last August will not be punished or charged with any crime and is back on active duty, police said.
Officer Rusten Sheskey shot 29-year-old Blake seven times in the back in front of his children on Aug. 23, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down while officers responded to a call from the emergency number about an alleged “ domestic incident. ”
Sheskey was placed on administrative leave after the incident, but returned to work on March 31 after the shooting was “ investigated by an outside agency, ” Kenosha police reported on Twitter on Tuesday.
Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley had announced in January that the office would not charge Sheskey with a felony for the shooting.
Kenosha officer Rusten Sheskey shot Jacob Blake seven times in the back in front of his children on August 23
Blake, 29, was paralyzed from the waist down and has since charged the officer in federal court
Kenosha police announced on Tuesday that Sheskey was returning to work on March 31 after being placed on administrative leave
Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley had announced in January that the office would not charge Sheskey with a crime for the shooting
[It] has been reviewed by an independent expert and by the Kenosha County District Attorney. Officer Sheskey was not charged with anything wrong. He acted within the law and was in accordance with the training, ” Police Chief Daniel Miskinis wrote in the statement.
‘This incident was also evaluated internally. Officer Sheskey acted within policy and will not be subject to disciplinary action. ‘
Miskinis added: “While this incident has been assessed on multiple levels, I know some will not be satisfied with the outcome; however, given the facts, the only lawful and appropriate decision was made. ‘
Last month, Blake sued Sheskey in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin for an unspecified amount in compensation for the injuries he sustained and “a substantial amount” in punitive damages.
His attorneys also demanded that they be paid for fees, legal fees “and such other fees as are fair and equitable.”
Protests erupted last summer after a viral cell phone video showed Blake walking around the front of his car while Sheskey followed him and opened fire after Blake opened the door.
But investigators said the video was incomplete and failed to show that Blake was armed with a knife and resisted arrest, arguing that it would have been difficult to prove that Sheskey was not acting in self-defense.
Blake had also admitted holding a knife and even described ‘changing it from one hand to the other’, The New York Times reported.