The horrible moment The New Jersey utility worker narrowly escapes a streamline that breaks up in flames as he tries to clean up the fallen wire trapped in a traffic light after a storm
- An employee with Jersey Central Power and Light (JCP & L) got the shock of his life while trying to clean up what turned out to be a live electricity line
- The fallen wire had landed at a traffic light in Manchester County in New Jersey
- The JCP & L employee tried to get the wire down and it caught fire in the hand
- A police officer parked near Manchester caught it on dash cam
- The rescuer was not injured seemed shocked by the incident, the officer said
- The high-voltage line came down at the intersection of Route 70 and Colonial Drive
The dash cam video from New Jersey police has captured the moment when a lowered electricity line flared up in flames while it was in the hands of a rescuer.
A Jersey Central Power and Light employee (JCP & L) tried to clear a fallen wire from a traffic light when the fire broke out around 6:30 am on Monday.
& # 39; I had the impression that the line was voltage-free, and based on his actions I felt that he had the same impression that the line was voltage-free, & # 39; Manchester Township Police Sgt. Christopher Hemhauser told NBC 10.
The electricity line came down to the intersection of Route 70 and Colonial Drive thanks to a storm on Monday in Manchester Township.
The worker can be seen on video as he holds onto the wire and jerks him and managed to get him out of the traffic light on which he had landed.
Sgt. Hemhauser happened to be parked at the intersection in his patrol car, so the incident was recorded on his dashcam.
New York police dash cam video captured the moment a lowered power line went up in flames while in the hands of a Jersey Central Power and Light (JCP & L) utility worker on Monday morning in Manchester Township
The worker can be seen on video while holding onto the wire and tearing it to get it loose
He manages to free it from the traffic light it had landed after a storm
When the wire comes down and finally falls to the ground, it bursts into flames.
The worker drops the thread and jumps back in surprise, knocking off the yellow hood of his coat from his cap.
& # 39; He was absolutely shocked & # 39 ;, he said. & # 39; It seemed just like me. A bit shocked by what happened. & # 39;
Moments later, the rescuer leaves next to the fire in the direction of safety.
When the wire comes down and finally hits the ground, it bursts into flames. The worker drops the thread and jumps back in surprise
Moments later, the rescuer leaves next to the fire in the direction of safety
Another person can also be seen, who shoots away from the fire and seems to have come from behind the garbage truck.
The flames were so hot that they burned holes in the asphalt on the street.
& # 39; It is just a reminder of how dangerous electricity really is & # 39 ;, Sgt. Hemhauser said, who should avoid a previous explosion in the same place when the line first came down.
The worker was not injured, but seemed awakened, the officer said. The operational staff of JCP & L is viewing the dash cam video of the fire as part of an investigation into the incident
& # 39; I met, worked with these JCP & L guys in many scenes, & # 39; Sgt. Hemhauser said.
& # 39; They are very careful. They follow the rules. Apparently something was wrong. & # 39;
The operational staff of JCP & L is viewing the dash cam video of the fire as part of an investigation into the incident.
A representative of the company told NBC 10 that the management of JCP & L was happy that nobody was injured.
& # 39; It is just a reminder of how dangerous electricity really is & # 39 ;, Sgt. Hemhauser said, who should avoid a previous explosion in the same place when the line first came down. An image of the earlier explosion is shown, from police dash cam footage