A grandfather bitten by a deadly snake in a remote thicket says his life was saved by a mobile phone application.
Charles Hamlet, 72, was enjoying a solo walk along the Bibbulmun trail near Denmark in southern Western Australia on Tuesday when an alleged dugite stuck to his ankle.
He said it was the second time a snake bit him.
"I felt a prick in my leg and I swore to the snake … very carefully," Hamlet told 7 News.
He was bitten by a suspicious dugita (pictured), which is one of the deadliest snakes in the world
With great pain and an hour of walking from the road, Mr. Hamlet activated the emergency application plus on his mobile phone, which had a GPS to identify its location to emergency operators.
Mr. Hamlet broke clothes to bandage his ankle while waiting for volunteers from the State of Denmark Emergency Service.
"It was a great relief to see them, but I felt so guilty because it was raining and it was cold," he said.
After spending the night in the hospital, Charles Hamlet (pictured) can now continue his adventures in Australia
Mr. Hamlet was airlifted to Albany Regional Hospital, where he was discharged the following day to continue his solo trips through Australia.
Fortunately, I only had one dry bite since the dugite did not release any of its lethal venom.
Mr. Hamlet said that all hikers should have installed the emergency application plus on their phones.
Hamlet says that the emergency application plus (pictured) on his mobile phone saved his life
"Prepare and look for snakes, even when they are not announced as seasonal," he said.
The Emergency Service of the State of Denmark also warned hikers to be vigilant.
"The snakes are already moving, just a warning as we have received a call for a patient lift with a snake bite," the group posted on Facebook.
Originally from Western Australia, the dugite is one of the deadliest snakes in the world.
The grandfather was transferred by helicopter (pictured) to the Albany Hospital, where he was discharged in 24 hours
A woman died in 2015 after she was bitten in the foot by a dugita in Fremantle's South Bach.
In 2011, a child was bitten and temporarily paralyzed after a dugite wrapped around his arm while sleeping in his Perth room.
The seven-year-old boy recovered completely,
Volunteers from the State Emergency Service (pictured) attended the scene to help Mr. Hamlet