The government’s independent rape advisor has slammed the sentencing of a man who stalked her online after he filmed her naked while she was unconscious in a hotel bed.
Emily Hunt, 43, said the suspended prison sentence handed down to Christopher Killick this week after he breached a restraining order by repeatedly tweeting about it was not a “real sentence”.
She fears that the “steady” Kilic will continue to contact her and said she and her loved ones now face the punishment of a new “monitoring” restraining order she has issued against him.
She told The Mail how she had to take time off from her ‘dream job’ as a sustainability consultant after Killick’s Twitter campaign caused her to relapse with diagnosed PTSD following his actions in 2015.
She said she lives in fear of him showing up on her doorstep, adding, “I had to install security cameras, I have a baseball bat in my bedroom near the door.”
Emily Hunt said the suspended prison sentence given to Christopher Killick after he breached a restraining order by repeatedly tweeting about it was not a ‘real sentence’ (pictured outside court in 2020)
On Thursday, Killick appeared in court for an ‘continuing’ breach of a restraining order after posting a series of tweets about Miss Hunt and the voyeurism case (pictured leaving court in 2020).
The 43-year-old mother also took aim at the “poor” care of victims she received ahead of Thursday’s hearing, saying she was “forced” to see a CPS attorney in court – as Kilic was later released.
She added: “These interactions with independent partners in the criminal justice system make it clear that victims are being screwed at every possible point and in every possible way. And that’s not okay.
She eventually attended court, but watched the hearing in another room via video link.
Miss Hunt gallantly conceded her anonymity to reveal how in 2015 she woke up naked in the bed next to Killick, terrified she had been drugged and raped.
Prosecutors initially did not charge Kilic, 43, due to insufficient evidence. But Miss Hunt later learned he had photographed her nude without her consent in a five-star hotel room in east London.
A five-year legal battle was fought to bring Kilic to justice after prosecutors said his actions were not illegal.
Killick admitted to voyeurism in August 2020 and was handed a 30-month community order, fined £2,000, and ordered to pay £5,000 compensation.
He obtained a restraining order that prevented him from contacting Mrs. Hunt.
But on Thursday, Killick went to court for “continued” violations of the order after he posted a series of tweets about Miss Hunt and the voyeurism case.
Snaresbrook Crown Court has heard how Killick, who is based in Lancaster, Lancashire, set up new Twitter accounts under his name after being blocked by Miss Hunt.
In July 2021, he posted a tweet with only Miss Hunt’s name. A day later, he wrote a post naming her and saying how he wanted to “reveal everything” about his story and demand an “apology” for her public comments about her ordeal.
He was arrested the following month. In a police interview, he denied harassing or stalking Miss Hunt.
Although the police told her to stop, Kilick resumed posting about it a few days after his arrest.
Miss Hunt said Kilik has not stopped affecting her life despite the sentence handed down in 2020
Eventually, he was arrested and placed in remand in January this year.
In a victim impact statement read in court, Miss Hunt said: ‘He hasn’t stopped affecting my life because he apparently doesn’t think a restraining order should apply to him.
Some of what he said was harmless, but some of it was terrible. But the most important thing is that it directly reminded me. Obviously, he was aiming to get my attention.
One tweet was literally just my name. No context, no content, just my name.. I found that incident devastating.
Every time he does it, it feels like an extra crescendo.
His behavior was fixated, obsessive, and escalating. I am concerned for my safety and the safety of my daughter.
Christopher Killick admitted voyeurism in August 2020 and was ordered to pay Miss Hunt £5,000 (pictured August 2020)
Judge Noel Carey said Killick had recently written to the court apologizing for his tweets about Miss Hunt, saying he had made a ‘mistake’ and his time in prison had been a ‘wake up call’ (pictured 2020)
It literally destroyed me. He ruined my life, and he still does over and over again.
The court heard how Kilic unsuccessfully ran to become an MP in 2021 and failed to secure elective work with his local MP but still hopes to work in politics in the future.
In his remarks, Judge Noel Carey said that Killick had recently written to the court apologizing for his tweets about Miss Hunt, saying he had made a ‘mistake’ and his time in prison had been a ‘wake-up call’.
But he said Killick had “repeatedly” singled out Miss Hunt in a “large number” of his tweets, suggesting his intent was to contact her, which “clearly violated the restraining order”.
He handed Kilic a sentence of 14 months in prison, suspended for two years, a 35-day rehabilitation requirement and 160 hours of unpaid work.
Killick is under an indefinite restraining order that prevents him from contacting Miss Hunt through his personal website, social media, and in person.