Hugo Speer, known for his role in 1997 The full Montyexplains why he believes he was unfairly let go from the hit movie’s upcoming Disney+ television spin-off.
The actor starred as Guy in the 1990s film which followed six unemployed steel workers as they form a male striptease act. Decades later, he was one of several original cast members who would reprise their roles in the series, which premieres June 14.
But everything changed when Disney said Speer’s contract was terminated for “inappropriate behavior” while filming in Manchester, England. During a recent interview with the Daily mail, Hugo claimed that a runner, with some experience on set, knocked on his trailer as he was changing clothes, and although he claims he told her to wait a minute, she opened the door anyway. The actor said he hid behind a wardrobe and was confused as to why she didn’t leave when she realized he was changing.
A few days went by and then Hugo said a producer pulled him aside while he was on set and told him, “There are a few complaints about you.”
Huge replied, “What?” I have never had a single complaint about my behavior in 31 years.” The actor said the producer then told him, “You’ve been seen undressed in your caravan.”
After being told I had made the crew members “uncomfortable,” Hugo said he was “shocked.”
“I tried to think back and remembered the runner, but she hadn’t said anything since she opened the door for me,” he added. “Not ‘that was a bit awkward.’ Nothing. We just got on with our work.”
He was eventually sent home for several weeks, hoping it would all work out, but Hugo said after an investigation that his character was written out of the rest of the series and he was terminated.
According to a copy of an investigative report he received, Hugo said he was accused of being seen stripped naked in his caravan by a costume trainee, and she complained of seeing him walk naked through an open door in his caravan.
Since being fired from the project, Hugo said he has not worked. “It was tragicomic, but they didn’t realize how hurt I was,” the actor told the outlet. “I went into a huge, deep shock. As you can see, I’m still kind of there.”
After all, Hugo said he also struggled with depression and his mental health. He added: ‘They took my job. They have taken my reputation. They took my money. They have taken my sanity.”
A Disney spokesperson said in a statement to the Daily Mail: “Last year we were made aware of allegations of inappropriate behavior by Hugo Speer on the set of The full Monty. As is policy, an independent investigation was launched. After completion, it was decided to terminate his contract with immediate effect.”
The Hollywood Reporter has reached out to Disney representatives for comment.