The man behind an attempt to set up an Italian-style beach club on Bondi Beach has received death threats from the public.
Janek Gazecki has faced threats to his life online since he announced plans to establish the Amalfi Beach Club on Sydney’s iconic east beach.
Mr Gazecki first went public with the idea in October last year and planned to file a development application with Waverley Council last week – although the council says it has not received an application.
The plans have sparked public controversy by calling it ‘non-Australian’, while some critics have taken it upon themselves to personally report and threaten Mr Gazecki, Daily telegram reported.
“Sleep with one eye open,” read a report.
Janek Gazecki (pictured with wife Natalie) faces threats to his life online since he announced plans to establish Amalfi Beach Club on iconic Sydney beach
The former lawyer has announced plans to go ahead with plans despite opposition from locals and politicians, and has released teaser footage of the location (pictured)
The plans have sparked public controversy by calling it ‘non-Australian’, while some critics have taken it upon themselves to personally report and threaten Mr Gazecki.
Another warns: ‘Make sure you have sufficient life insurance’.
The messages were sent in November and Mr Gazecki says he has since notified the New South Wales police.
The entrepreneur said the community’s resistance has taken a heavy toll on both him and his wife.
“It’s an emotional situation and we’ve been through hell,” said Gazecki.
“My wife has sometimes been in tears because of this.”
Daily Mail Australia contacted NSW Police for comment.
The former attorney and Bondi resident has dismissed claims that the venue is an ‘exclusive’ or ‘private’ club that would serve only the rich and famous.
Mr Gazecki insists the plan is no more controversial than ‘a restaurant in the sand’ and said anyone is welcome to enter the venue, regardless of age or wealth, he said. The Guardian.
The Amalfi Beach Club is intended for four months from November to February, with a kitchen and a bar, with a capacity of 100 people.
Patrons no longer have to pay $ 80 to enter the club, but can purchase a cabana or daybed for the same price to spend on food and drink.
Mr Gazecki has said that there is already a sunbed rental company about 100 meters from the proposed stretch of sand.
Mr Gazecki announced plans to submit the development application to Waverley Council (photo, artist impression of Amalfi Beach Club)
Mr Gazecki said his Italian-style beach club was designed to fit the existing Bondi pavilion
“The only difference with us is that we want to introduce a food and drink service,” he said.
Mr Gazecki said the site would occupy 1.3 percent of the 55,000 square feet of sand on the beach and was designed to fit into the existing Bondi Pavilion.
“The Mediterranean design celebrates Bondi Beach’s heritage by paying tribute to our very own pavilion, also inspired by interwar Italian architecture, while complimenting the sandstone hues of Bondi’s headlands,” said a post on the Club’s Facebook page.
Mr. Gazecki revealed that the process of building the club’s facade had already begun and shipping containers had been purchased to form the kitchen and bar.
The entrepreneur said that opponents of the plan had been misguided about how large and exclusive the site would be and insisted that he had no intention of privatizing the beach.
“None of the things that touched the media had to do with our proposal in any way,” he said.
It was weird speculation. It’s pure and just a restaurant on the sand. It is not privatizing the beach, we are leasing the beach. ‘
Mr Gazecki (pictured with his wife Natalie) said the venue is for ‘everyone’ regardless of wealth or age
Mr Gazecki compared his proposal to plans to host a pop-up restaurant on Manly Beach this month for the ‘Taste of the Beaches’ food event hosted by the Northern Beaches Council.
The Waverley Council confirmed on April 25 that it had not received a development proposal for the Amalfi Beach Club.
“Bondi Beach is crown land and therefore the landowner permission of the planning and public space minister is required before a prosecutor is appointed,” a spokesman for the council said in a statement.
Planning Minister Rob Stokes, who has the power to approve the plan, says it will not happen.
“It’s privatization of the main public space and it’s crossing a line in the sand,” he said.
“Bondi is Australia’s most iconic beach and the public wants free access to it.”
Mr Gazecki compared his proposal to plans to host a pop-up restaurant on Manly Beach this month for the ‘Taste of the Beaches’ food event hosted by the Northern Beaches Council