The draw for the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Indonesia on Friday has been canceled, officials said, days after the governor of Bali called for Israel to be excluded from the tournament.
The draw for the tournament, which will be held between May 20 and June 11, 2023 in six cities with the participation of 24 teams, was scheduled for next Friday in Bali, but the International Federation (FIFA) canceled the event without stating the reasons or setting a new date, according to what the Indonesian Football Association announced in a statement Sunday. .
Officials said a possible factor in canceling the lottery was Bali Governor Wayan Koster’s call for Israel’s exclusion, in a letter to the Ministry of Youth and Sports last month.
A member of the Indonesian Federation, Arya Sinulenga, said at a press conference in Jakarta on Sunday: The lottery has been cancelled. We can understand that because of the rejection by the ruler of Bali.
He continued: Israel is participating, and the lottery cannot be held without all the participants.
The International Federation did not respond to a request for comment.
Israel is scheduled to participate after qualifying for the first time to the finals, while Jakarta pledged to protect its participation.