Groundbreaking! Meryl Streep is set to chair the 2020 With Gala alongside the Devil Wears Prada character's inspiration Anna Wintour – and it will be FIRST time attending the event
- Stripe, 70, is considered one of Hollywood's most iconic stars, but she has yet to attend a With Gala in her years in the industry
- This comes after playing the role of Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada
- Her role was inspired by Vogue editor-in-chief Wintour and even included a scene where Streep's character hosted her own version of the Met Gala
- Now Stripe will attend and chair the event alongside Wintour and other stars
- About Time: Fashion and Duration is the theme for the 2020 event
It will be the Gala's 150th anniversary next year, putting the pressure on the fashion-forward event to show better than ever to attract bigger crowds.
And one addition, among many, to the event for the upcoming season is the inclusion of actress Meryl Streep as one of the chairs.
The Devil Wears Prada star, 70, wants to get the inner Miranda Priestly when helping chair the gala while also enjoying the first time ever attending the prestigious event.
Stop the presses: It was announced Thursday Meryl Streep (pictured in September) will co-chair the 2020 With Gala in May. This will be the first time attending event
Iconic: Stripe, 70, never attending a With Gala comes as a shock given in the previous role in The Devil Wears Prada where the character hosted her own version of the event
It might be shocking to the outside observer that Stripe has never attended the Gala given the long-standing career in the industry and the previous movie role as a character based on Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour.
In the Devil Wears Prada, Streep is filmed hosting with its own version of the Met Gala for the character's magazine. But the actress prefers to stay out of the limelight outside or movie premieres and awards shows in real life.
Now fans will get the opportunity to watch Stripe walk the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City when attending and chairing the gala on May 7.
She will join other chairs including actress Emma Stone, actor Lin Manuel Miranda, Louis Vuitton's Nicolas Ghesquière, and, of course, Wintour.
Notable chairs from past With Galas include Nicole Kidman, Sienna Miller, George Clooney, Juila Roberts, and Oprah Winfrey.
It was also revealed on Thursday's theme and dress code for the upcoming event is About Time: Fashion and Duration, which will feature 160 pieces of women's fashion from the last 150 years.
Joining the stars: Other co-chairs for the upcoming event include actress Emma Stone (left), Louis Vuitton's Nicolas Ghesquière (middle), and actor Lin Manuel Miranda (right)
Joining the ranks: Stripe will also join Vogue's Anna Wintour as a co-chair. It is said the Devil Wears Prada character was based on the famed editor-in-chief
When speaking to The New York Times, Andrew Bolton, the curator in charge of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, explained the inspiration behind the new exhibit and theme.
"I wanted to do an exhibition focused on the collection, but not a traditional masterworks exhibition," he said. "Something that connects to the zeitgeist, and what people are talking about now."
The show, which will be designed by Es Devlin, who created the sets for Beyonce's Formation tour, aims to create a timeline of women's fashion starting from the 1870s up until now.
About 70 per cent of pieces featured during the exhibit will come from the museum's current collection. The other 30 per cent will come from outside donors.
Bolton and his team picked the theme on the heels of last galas Camp: Notes of Fashion theme, which proved to be a huge success for the museum.
Stars, including Stripe, will now have months to prepare their looks before walking the steps of the Met in May.
(tagsToTranslate) dailymail (t) femail (t) With Gala