WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

The death of a young footy star, 16, entails the risk of jumping ‘out of gas bottles’ to get high

Rising footy player, 16, tragically dies after “gasping” vapors from a gas bottle – before his sad father makes an urgent plea

  • A destroyed father spoke about the risks of ‘panting’ vapors from gas bottles
  • Adrian spoke out after his 16-year-old son Patrick died of the practice
  • The heartbroken father said he was trying to find “a goal” in the death of son
  • ‘Huffing’ is the inhalation of substance vapors such as those in gas bottles

A broken father warned about the risk of ‘gasping’ gas after the sudden death of his 16-year-old son.

Adrian of Port Lincoln lost his son Patrick – a rising football player – after he died while inhaling fumes from a gas bottle on 9 February.

Adrian told ABC Radio he had never heard of ‘panting’ until his son lost his life due to the craze.

Adrian, a broken father, talked about the dangers of “gasping” vapors after his 16-year-old son Patrick (photo) died while performing the act that is becoming popular among teenagers

Patrick died after breathing in vapors from a gas cylinder at a BBQ in the backyard on 9 February (stock photo)

Patrick died after breathing in vapors from a gas cylinder at a BBQ in the backyard on 9 February (stock photo)

Patrick died after breathing in vapors from a gas cylinder at a BBQ in the backyard on 9 February (stock photo)

“It was just a normal Saturday night and he died. He sucked on a gas cylinder from a barbecue and it killed him, “the devastated father said.

He had just come home when Patrick’s friends came running to his front door and told him his son had “fallen over.”

Patrick was three blocks away in a friend’s house and Adrian had no idea how serious the situation was and told the teens “don’t panic” and they would sort it out.

But when he came to the front of the house and saw an ambulance, he knew it was much more serious than he had expected.

Running into the back garden, he was confronted with the faces of paramedics who tried to resuscitate Patrick.

He knew immediately that his beloved son was dead.

“They kept doing that for 45 minutes after I got there, but they couldn’t let his heart begin again,” he said.

In the weeks since his son’s tragic death, Adrian said the community had gathered around his family.

“We’re just dealing with it, the city has been great, the work has been great, everyone is great, but I’d rather not have discovered how great people are, not like this,” he said.

Patrick (photo) was only three blocks from his house, but by the time Adrian arrived on the scene, he found paramedics at work resuscitating his son, who was declared dead after 45 minutes

Patrick (photo) was only three blocks from his house, but by the time Adrian arrived on the scene, he found paramedics at work resuscitating his son, who was declared dead after 45 minutes

Patrick (photo) was only three blocks from his house, but by the time Adrian arrived on the scene, he found paramedics at work resuscitating his son, who was declared dead after 45 minutes

After asking around, Adrian said he discovered that “panting” had become a dangerously popular trend among teenagers, a thought that frightened him.

Now he is speaking out to try to ensure that no other teenager loses life or suffers from the pain he is going through.

Adrian said he had to find “a goal” in the death of his son and prevent another family or teenager from experiencing the same fate.

According to the Foundation for a Drug-Free World, inhaling fumes through the nose or mouth starves the brain of oxygen.

“Much of the damage is caused to brain tissue when the toxic fumes are sniffed directly into the sinus,” the foundation says.

Breathing in vapors can also cause a sudden death.

There are also support services available for those affected by ‘direct’ or ‘indirect’.

Adrian said in his heartbreak that he should try to find a goal for his son; 's death and talking about the dangers in an attempt to prevent further tragedy, was what he decided to do (Patrick pictured)

Adrian said in his heartbreak that he should try to find a goal for his son; 's death and talking about the dangers in an attempt to prevent further tragedy, was what he decided to do (Patrick pictured)

Adrian said in his heartbreak that he should try to find a goal for his son; ‘s death and talking about the dangers in an attempt to prevent further tragedy, was what he decided to do (Patrick pictured)

.