Six seconds of controlled explosions today destroyed the remains of a collapsed bridge in the northern Italian city of Genoa, the aging viaduct that saw one of the worst tragedies in modern Italian history when it turned its back on the country last year and killed 43 people.
Explosives have knocked down two towers of the Morandi bridge when cannons of water spouted over 20,000 cubic meters of steel and concrete to prevent huge dust clouds from engulfing the city.
A 656ft (200m) stretch of the bridge collapsed on August 14 in heavy rainfall, sending dozens of vehicles that dived 50 feet (50 feet) underground.
Only 14 people survived the collapse while 43 people died in the tragedy, including eight-year-old Samuele Robbiano, the youngest victim.
The collapse of the A10 motorway viaduct has made access to the busy port of Genoa more difficult and also meant a long detour for drivers who wanted to drive to the South of France, now it is being demolished to make way for new infrastructure.
The demolition of the two supporting structures that remain after the collapse was requested by officials who approached the incident after the bridge appeared to rely on an adjacent support building.
The government of the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement and the right-wing League wants a rapid reconstruction, hoping to send a signal of the corruption and inefficiency that have often plagued Italian infrastructure projects.
A cloud of dust rises as the remaining spans of the Morandi bridge are demolished in a planned expolosion, in Genoa, Italy, Friday, June 28, 2019
The spectacular planned explosion crushed the remaining spans and supporting columns of the Italian bridge that collapsed last year, killing 43 people
Once the dust has settled: Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini said today that a new bridge will also be built
Five-star leader Luigi Di Maio and League chief Matteo Salvini, both vice-prime ministers, attended the demolition after Infrastructure Minister Danilo Toninelli had laid the foundation stone of the new viaduct earlier this week.
& # 39; Today not only is the old bridge coming down, but the new one is coming up, & # 39; Salvini said.
The reconstruction was assigned to the Italian firm & # 39; s Salini Impregilo and Fincantieri. The new viaduct was designed by renowned Genoa-born architect Renzo Piano and will be inaugurated by the middle of next year.
Approximately 3500 people living in the area were evacuated as a precaution in the hours before the demolition. Sirens sounded a final warning
The remains of the bridge were considered unstable, but remained eleven months after the partial collapse during a storm
It remains unclear whether the government will live up to its promise to withdraw the toll road operator Autostrade per l & lt; 39, Italia, a unit of infrastructure group Atlantia responsible for the maintenance of the bridge.
Rome has accused the operator of serious shortcomings in the maintenance of the bridge. Autostrade has denied a wrong action and claims that regular state-controlled inspections had indicated that the outdated viaduct was safe.
A test to determine the debt is not yet planned, but an investigation is still ongoing.
The withdrawal procedure started a few days after the bridge collapsed, but the coalition parties are now divided.
Water jets are fired into the air around a & # 39; wall & # 39; of water to reduce the dust particles that spread through the area
A 656-foot (200-meter) stretch of the bridge collapsed last August, not only 43 dead and dozens injured, but also 600 homeless because of the proximity of the bridge with nearby houses
A dramatic image shows the fall of the remaining bridge, reminiscent of the tragic scene of 11 months ago
The deck of the bridge is in ruins and debris after explosive loads have blown up the eastern pylons of the Morandi highway bridge of Genoa
A general view shows the two pylons of the Morandi speed bridge of Genoa before they were destroyed with explosives that can be seen in red on the concrete structure below
Orange bags with explosives can be seen at the bottom of the Morandi bridge, one day before demolition
General view of the Morandi bridge, with orange explosives tied to the chassis, before controlled explosions demolished its two pylons
The very first second of the explosion is recorded by the visible plumes of debris rising from the structure that will soon be destroyed
After the demolition, houses are surrounded by what looks like a landslide of rubble and concrete
The deck of the bridge lies in ruins and debris between evacuated buildings after explosive charges have blown up the eastern pylons – the western pylons remain (below) before they are also blown up
Netting is used as a precautionary measure to prevent dust and debris from spreading further than necessary, in a landscape that has already been affected by the tragedy
Water is spread over rubble and rubble after explosive charges have blown up the eastern pylons of the Morandi motorway bridge of Genoa
Fire hoses spray water to reduce dust caused by the planned explosion that demolished the remaining spans of the Morandi bridge
One of the remaining parts of the Morandi bridge collapses during a planned explosion (left). The deck of the bridge hits the ground in a cloud of smoke and water after explosive loads blew up the eastern pylons of the Morandi bridge of Genoa (right)
The demolition of the two support structures remaining after the collapse was requested by officials who approached the incident after the bridge seemed to lean on an adjacent building built underneath
A bottom view of the Morandi speed bridge, taken on August 16, 2018, two days after part of the bridge collapsed, shows evacuated buildings under the bridge structure, columns and deck
A test to determine the debt is not yet planned, but an investigation is still ongoing
General view after controlled explosions hit two of the pylons of the Morandi bridge. Rome accuses Autostrade, the operator, of serious shortcomings in the maintenance of the bridge
Italian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior Matteo Salvini (right) consults with Deputy Minister of Transport and Infrastructure Edoardo Rixi and Governor Giovanni Toti of Liguria for the demolition of the pillars of the Morandi highway bridge in Genoa, Northern Italy, 28 June 2019
Italian region The governor of Liguria, Giovanni Toti, speaks with the journalist prior to the demolition of the pillars of the Morandi highway bridge, in Genoa, northern Italy, June 28, 2019
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news