A parent's worst nightmare: dozens of children are taken from a daycare center in Sydney after potentially toxic traces of lead paint have been discovered on windows
- Children were forced to evacuate One Tree Little Diggers at Holsworthy Barracks
- The facility is owned by the government and is used by children from military families
- Ministry of Defense spokesperson confirmed traces of lead
Dozens of children were removed from a daycare center in Sydney after traces of lead paint were discovered in the building.
One Tree Little Diggers, in the Holsworthy barracks in the southwest of the city, was shut down after the Ministry of Education found the potentially toxic substance in window frames during a routine check.
Parents received an e-mail from the center on July 19, announcing the immediate closure of the facility and encouraging them to pick up their children.
& # 39; At the direction of DET, we have closed the service immediately.
& # 39; We have called families to request that they pick up their children.
Parents were asked to pick up their children at One Tree Little Diggers, in the Holsworthy Barracks, in NSW, on July 19 after the potentially toxic substance near window frames was discovered during a routine check (stock image)
& # 39; The service remains closed until we can resolve the issue & # 39 ;, an email from news.com.au mention.
According to the site, the daycare center, which is owned by the Ministry of Defense, had about 65 young children from military families.
The Ministry of Defense confirmed that a blue-colored paint contained 0.11 percent lead – slightly above the government-approved amount of 0.1.
& # 39; The center has been repainted in recent years, but the underlying layers of paint appeared to contain little lead & # 39 ;, said a spokesperson.
The Ministry of Defense confirmed that a blue-colored paint contained 0.11 percent lead – slightly above the government-approved amount of 0.1. (stock image)
Although it was determined that the risk & # 39; s for children & # 39; at least & # 39; , parents have since been advised to test their children for lead poisoning as a precaution.
Lead poisoning, which can be fatal, occurs when the toxic levels of the metal accumulate in the body.
Symptoms include vomiting, weight loss, constipation, seizures, hearing loss, irritability and loss of appetite.
Children are said to be more sensitive because the material can be found on walls, railings and other common areas that are accessible to them.
The center is now working to solve the problem, with DET arranging alternative care for the families until the daycare center can be reopened.
WHAT IS LEAD POISONING?
Lead poisoning occurs when the metal accumulates in the body.
Children under the age of six are particularly vulnerable because such poisoning can harm their mental and physical development.
In severe cases, lead poisoning can be fatal.
Lead poisoning is often caused by exposure to contaminated paint and dust in water, air and soil.
Symptoms include learning difficulties, irritability, loss of appetite, weight loss, vomiting, constipation, seizures, and hearing loss.
In addition to removing the source of infection, the treatment includes medication that encourages lead removal via urine.
Blood lead levels higher than five micrograms are considered abnormal in children, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
It is thought that around 535,000 children in the US are at least as high, the CDC adds.
Source: Mayo Clinic
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news