Advertisements
Catherine Potts, who visited her parents' graves on Tuesday at Bight Cemetery in Wingham (photo), was astonished when she discovered that her father's tombstone lay flat on the ground
Advertisements

A council has stopped tombstones because they were deemed unsafe after & # 39; destroyed & # 39; residents claimed that the graves of their loved ones had been desecrated.

Catherine Potts visited her parents' graves on Tuesday at Bight Cemetery in Wingham on the north-north coast of the NSW when she became desperate after discovering her father's tombstone on the ground.

& # 39; First we thought it was vandals, until we came through the gate and realized that this was the work of the council, & # 39; she said.

& # 39; This seems as if health and safety at work have gone crazy. It looks like a war zone. & # 39;

Advertisements

Catherine Potts, who visited her parents' graves on Tuesday at Bight Cemetery in Wingham (photo), was astonished when she discovered that her father's tombstone lay flat on the ground

Catherine Potts, who visited her parents' graves on Tuesday at Bight Cemetery in Wingham (photo), was astonished when she discovered that her father's tombstone lay flat on the ground

The MidCoast Council had laid a number of tombstones & # 39; & # 39; after three-year-old Indy Henderson was killed when a 425-kg monument crushed her to 80 family and friends on her grandmother's 50th birthday at Blackhead on November 26, 2016.

The tragic incident led to calls for stricter rules regarding cemetery monuments and the & # 39; horizontal & # 39; program started.

But it was suspended after Mrs. Potts and several other Wingham residents had expressed their disgust.

Advertisements

& # 39; Some of them are irreparably damaged. This is apparently a safety measure? & # 39; Mrs. Potts commented.

& # 39; His tombstone (from her father) is quite short – less than 40 centimeters high – and seemed firm and well-attached all the time my sister leans on it while she cleans the grave. We do not see how this could possibly be a safety risk. & # 39;

The MidCoast Council program began after the three-year-old Indy Henderson was murdered after a 425 kg monument crushed her on November 26, 2016 for 80 family and friends

The MidCoast Council program began after the three-year-old Indy Henderson was murdered after a 425 kg monument crushed her on November 26, 2016 for 80 family and friends

The MidCoast Council program began after the three-year-old Indy Henderson was murdered after a 425 kg monument crushed her on November 26, 2016 for 80 family and friends

Paul De Szell, director of the community of MidCoast Council, said the safety of visitors to the graveyard was paramount.

Advertisements

& # 39; It tries to find the balance between being respectful and also ensuring that people at our cemeteries are not at risk of injury, & # 39; he said ABC news.

Although she is satisfied with the program being canceled temporarily, she still believes that the municipality should become the owner of the damage they have caused to the & # 39; beautiful little cemetery & # 39 ;.

& # 39; I think they also have an obligation to correct some of the harsh process that occurred, & she told ABC News.

The council will now consult with its heritage advisers to re-evaluate the program.

Indy Henderson (photo) was killed after the 425 kg monument fell on her for 80 family and friends on her grandmother's 50th birthday on November 26, 2016

Indy Henderson (photo) was killed after the 425 kg monument fell on her for 80 family and friends on her grandmother's 50th birthday on November 26, 2016

Advertisements

Indy Henderson (photo) was killed after the 425 kg monument fell on her for 80 family and friends on her grandmother's 50th birthday on November 26, 2016

The program comes after the tragic death of Indy Henderson caused a stir in her family and in the community.

After an investigation into her death, it was determined that the 425 kg monument was not properly placed on the base.

At Glebe Coroners Court in December last year, deputy coroner Liz Ryan advised the state government to adjust development standards with regard to masonry structures one meter or higher in height to ensure legal supervision.

The structure, which was built in 1997 for just $ 1,000, was used as a focal point to commemorate Anzac Day.

Advertisements

The monument was made by stonemason John Edstein, who had decades of experience.

The Anzac memorial (photo) was built in 1997 for only $ 1,000 and was based on silicone instead of cement, which contributed to the collapse

The Anzac memorial (photo) was built in 1997 for only $ 1,000 and was based on silicone instead of cement, which contributed to the collapse

The Anzac memorial (photo) was built in 1997 for only $ 1,000 and was based on silicone instead of cement, which contributed to the collapse

When Mr. Hari Gohil – a structural engineer from Sydney with more than 40 years of experience – examined the headstone after his collapse, he discovered that the monument was not manufactured to the highest standards.

& # 39; Simply put, the monument was constructed in such a way that the tombstone was unable to withstand the lateral forces that were expected to be exerted on it, & quot; the findings of the corner.

Advertisements

Gohil discovered that the metal plugs that held the headstone in line eventually came loose from the holes, causing it to collapse.

He advised that the dowels should have been covered with something stronger than silicone, such as cement, to ensure that the headstone had better support.

As a result of Indy's death, the Mid North Council had inspected all the monuments on his land to ensure their stability.

Indy & # 39; s parents (photo) at the monument for the three-year-old girl decorated with a plaque and flowers

Indy & # 39; s parents (photo) at the monument for the three-year-old girl decorated with a plaque and flowers

Indy & # 39; s parents (photo) at the monument for the three-year-old girl decorated with a plaque and flowers

Advertisements

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news