The coroner orders the police to look into the evidence surrounding the ghost train fire in Luna Park

0

New hope of justice for families of the seven Luna Park Ghost Train fire victims as a coroner orders police to investigate the evidence surrounding the fire

  • Seven people died in the 1979 Sydney Luna Park Ghost Train horror fire
  • Initial investigation suggested it was an electrical fault, but the cause has not been determined
  • NSW coroner ordered police to investigate evidence of the cause of fire
  • There are allegations that the eruption may have been linked to a figure from the underworld

The NSW coroner will consider a new inquest into a fatal fire in Sydney’s Luna Park in 1979 after allegations that the fire was linked to a figure from the underworld.

Seven people, including six boys, died in the fire while riding the theme park’s ghost train.

Initial investigations indicated an electrical failure and some subsequent investigations were not conclusive.

On June 9, 1975, a fire on the Ghost Train ride in Sydney's Luna Park (pictured) killed seven people and changed the life of a community forever

On June 9, 1975, a fire on the Ghost Train ride in Sydney’s Luna Park (pictured) killed seven people and changed the life of a community forever

The fire at Luna Park Ghost Train in June 1979 claimed the lives of John Godson and six children: Damien Godson, Craig Godson, Richard Carroll, Michael Johnson, Jonathan Billings and Seamus Rahilly

The fire at Luna Park Ghost Train in June 1979 claimed the lives of John Godson and six children: Damien Godson, Craig Godson, Richard Carroll, Michael Johnson, Jonathan Billings and Seamus Rahilly

The fire at Luna Park Ghost Train in June 1979 claimed the lives of John Godson and six children: Damien Godson, Craig Godson, Richard Carroll, Michael Johnson, Jonathan Billings and Seamus Rahilly

NSW Coroner Teresa O’Sullivan confirmed on Saturday that she would consider whether a new judicial investigation should be held.

“The coroner has received an application from a person of sufficient standing under … the Coroners Act to open a new judicial investigation against the 1979 Luna Park Ghost Train fire,” her office said in a statement.

The application was received on Thursday.

“The state viewer has made a formal request to the NSW Police State Crime Command to review all evidence regarding the cause and origin of the fire and the circumstances surrounding the deaths from the fire,” the statement continued.

Once assessed, the coroner will make a decision about a further investigation.

The handling of a new judicial investigation follows an ABC TV investigation into the fire, alleging that the fire was started deliberately and that the police helped cover up the crime.

Images from ABC's investigative documentary series EXPOSED show that the police were at the site of Luna Park shortly after the 1979 fire

Images from ABC's investigative documentary series EXPOSED show that the police were at the site of Luna Park shortly after the 1979 fire

Images from ABC’s investigative documentary series EXPOSED show that the police were at the site of Luna Park shortly after the 1979 fire

Following the airing of the program, NSW Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian said there was room to review the matter.

“We have heard the plight of families and I can confirm that relevant parts of the NSW government are considering that,” the prime minister said last week.

On the evening of June 9, 1979, John Godson and his two boys Damien, six, and Craig, four, plus friends Jonathan Billings, Richard Carroll, Michael Johnson and Seamus Rahilly, ages 12-13, were killed by the fire.

There are allegations that the fire may have been linked to the figure of the underworld in Sydney, Abe Saffron (pictured), in an effort to secure first-class waterfront properties

There are allegations that the fire may have been linked to the figure of the underworld in Sydney, Abe Saffron (pictured), in an effort to secure first-class waterfront properties

There are allegations that the fire may have been linked to the figure of the underworld in Sydney, Abe Saffron (pictured), in an effort to secure first-class waterfront properties

The TV show claimed that there were links between the fire and the figure of the underworld in Sydney, Abe Saffron, in an attempt to acquire first-class waterfront properties.

Mr. Saffron has since passed away.

In 2007, his cousin Anne Buckingham claimed he was responsible for the fire and the NSW government said at the time that it was open to the possibility of a new coronial investigation.

Advertisement