Advertisements
Warning: New Zealand pet owner Maddie Smith shared how her cat Ruby got sick from taking too much salt

The cat owner reveals that her beloved pet nearly died because of her SALTLAMP after it swelled the cat's brain – warning other owners about the dangers of light

  • Ross Avenue Vet Hospital at Coffs Harbor, Australia, shared the warning post
  • It came from a woman named Maddie Smith from New Zealand
  • The pet's owner revealed how her cat got salt poisoning from a salt lamp
  • The high amount of sodium the cat got from licking the lamp almost killed her
  • Maddie warned other pet owners to leave salt lamps for animals
Advertisements

A cat owner has revealed how her beloved animal nearly died from licking a salt lamp in her house, and her mail alert about the item has helped other pet owners.

Advertisements

Rose Avenue Vet Hospital at Coffs Harbor, Australia, shared the warning post from a woman named Maddie Smith in New Zealand. The message describes how Maddie woke up with her cat named Ruby, who behaved strangely.

& # 39; Our dear Ruby was very strange and had her head in a strange position while she was walking, & # 39; wrote the pet owner.

Warning: New Zealand pet owner Maddie Smith shared how her cat Ruby got sick from taking too much salt

Warning: New Zealand pet owner Maddie Smith shared how her cat Ruby got sick from taking too much salt

Avoid: the salt came from the salt lamp that she had in her house. The post warned pet owners about the dangers of keeping a salt lamp near animals

Avoid: the salt came from the salt lamp that she had in her house. The post warned pet owners about the dangers of keeping a salt lamp near animals

Advertisements

Avoid: the salt came from the salt lamp that she had in her house. The post warned pet owners about the dangers of keeping a salt lamp near animals

Need to know: Ross Avenue Vet Hospital at Coffs Harbor, Australia, shared the warning post

Need to know: Ross Avenue Vet Hospital at Coffs Harbor, Australia, shared the warning post

Need to know: Ross Avenue Vet Hospital at Coffs Harbor, Australia, shared the warning post

She continued: & # 39; We initially thought this was only because she was so cold, so we got her nice and warm and just went on to work. & # 39;

But hours later the condition of the cat had deteriorated rapidly and Maddie and her partner were forced to take the cat to the vet.

Advertisements

& # 39; The vets were very concerned about her and could see that she definitely had neurological problems because she just couldn't walk well, couldn't hear or see, couldn't even eat or drink because she couldn't serve her tongue the best, & # 39; Maddie detailed.

& # 39; Her basic senses and skills are gone within 12 hours. She was so helpless. & # 39;

Veterinarians conducted tests and were happy with the results until the cat's blood test came back, showing that the animal had a high sodium content, meaning that she consumed a large amount of salt.

& # 39; So this serious salt poisoning had swollen her brain and ultimately the neurological problems that followed, & # 39; the post went on. & # 39; The salt poisoning was caused by just your normal salt lamp we had in our living room, Ruby took the salt by simply licking the lamp (we didn't know of course). & # 39;

Maddie further explained how salt poisoning is more common in dogs and that even the vets were shocked at seeing Ruby with the condition.

Advertisements

The post warned other pet owners of the dangers of having a salt lamp within the reach of their animals.

Good to know: commentators praised the person for sharing her story and revealed that they would also get rid of their lamps

Good to know: commentators praised the person for sharing her story and revealed that they would also get rid of their lamps

Good to know: commentators praised the person for sharing her story and revealed that they would also get rid of their lamps

High praise: other pet owners wished the best for Maddie's cat, who was currently recovering from salt poisoning

High praise: other pet owners wished the best for Maddie's cat, who was currently recovering from salt poisoning

High praise: other pet owners wished the best for Maddie's cat, who was currently recovering from salt poisoning

Useful: Many commentators thought the message was useful for their own home
Advertisements

Useful: Many commentators thought the message was useful for their own home

Useful: Many commentators thought the message was useful for their own home

& # 39; So this serious salt poisoning had swollen her brain, and ultimately the neurological problems that followed, & # 39; she wrote, adding: & # 39; These salt lamps are addictive to animals, and when they get a taste, it becomes just like crisps! So please keep this out of reach of your fur baby & # 39; s. & # 39;

Maddie informed people how her cat was a & long way to recovery & # 39; had. The vets were focused on providing the cat with nutrition and hydration to combat the large amounts of salt that were consumed.

& # 39; She is definitely a hunter, & # 39; Maddie wrote at the end of her message.

Advertisements

Many commentators have praised the pet's owner for sharing her experiences so that others would not make a similar mistake with their own salt lamps. People also wished the cat good luck during its recovery.

& # 39; Thank you for sharing. I hope Ruby gets better and better, & a commentator said.

Another person said: & # 39; Thank you for sharing this information. I pray that your fur baby is doing well and is happy and healthy again. & # 39;

The post helped inform at least one commentator that they had to put away their salt lamp.

They shared a photo of their own cat that was sitting near a salt lamp.

Advertisements

& # 39; My cat likes to sit by the salt lamp. I take it away after I see this. Thank you for placing and I am happy that your cat is fine, & the person wrote.

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) femail (t) new zealand