Home Australia The Canal Siete bloodbath continues and claims that the network could eliminate 150 jobs

The Canal Siete bloodbath continues and claims that the network could eliminate 150 jobs

0 comment
150 jobs at Seven West Media could be axed on Tuesday following a recent spate of high-profile departures. Pictured are Morning Show hosts Larry Edmur and Kylie Gillies.

The mass exodus of staff at Channel Seven will continue with dozens of redundancies to be announced.

It is believed that 150 jobs at Seven West Media could be axed on Tuesday following a recent spate of high-profile departures, according to reports.

The latest reports emerged less than a week after the broadcaster fired veteran television reporter and fill-in host Robert Ovadia following an internal investigation.

It is understood that chief executive Jeff Howard will announce cuts to the television and print divisions, as well as sales and marketing teams and printing staff.

Last week, Howard told a parliamentary inquiry that the network would need to cut costs if revenue from its commercial deal with Meta dries up later this year. TV tonight reported.

150 jobs at Seven West Media could be axed on Tuesday following a recent spate of high-profile departures. Pictured are Morning Show hosts Larry Edmur and Kylie Gillies.

More changes are coming for Channel Seven following Bruce Lehrmann revelations

More changes are coming for Channel Seven following Bruce Lehrmann revelations

Anthony de Ceglie has already implemented several staff changes and new appointments within the Seven’s News division.

The network announced a shake-up to its news leadership team last Thursday, including a new news director in Sydney and new executive producers for Sunrise and Weekend Sunrise.

Sean Power will take over as Seven Sydney’s news director, replacing veteran news boss Neil Warren, who was with the network for 32 years.

Power will step down as executive producer of Sunrise and current supervising producer Jake Lyle will take over.

Lyle is a recent addition to Seven, having only been with the network for six months, previously working on Nine’s Today show and with Ben Fordham on 2GB.

They are among the latest changes at Seven in the wake of Bruce Lehrmann’s damning sex and drugs allegations which hit the network’s flagship current affairs show Spotlight.

New executive producers for Sunrise and Weekend Sunrise were announced in Seven's latest shake-up announced last Thursday. Pictured are Sunrise co-hosts Nat Barr and Matt Shirvington.

New executive producers for Sunrise and Weekend Sunrise were announced in Seven’s latest shake-up announced last Thursday. Pictured are Sunrise co-hosts Nat Barr and Matt Shirvington.

Sean Power (pictured) will take over as Seven Sydney's Director of News, replacing veteran news boss Neil Warren, who was with the network for 32 years.

Sean Power (pictured) will take over as Seven Sydney’s Director of News, replacing veteran news boss Neil Warren, who was with the network for 32 years.

In April alone, the network lost news and current affairs director Craig McPherson, managing director James Warburton, business director Bruce McWilliam and Spotlight executive producer Mark Llewellyn.

McPherson was replaced by Seven West Media director of news and current affairs and editor-in-chief Anthony De Ceglie earlier this year.

In a statement, De Ceglie paid tribute to Warren: “Neil is highly regarded by all his colleagues at Seven and across the industry.”

“We are sad to see him go, but we wish him all the best and are grateful that he will stay for some time to ensure a smooth transition.”

Announcing Seven Sydney’s new news director, De Ceglie said Power’s time at Sunrise had been marked by incredible success and creativity.

“I can’t wait to see what he will bring to the important 6pm news bulletin,” he said.

Senior Robert Ovadia fired by Channel Seven after 23 years with the network

Senior Robert Ovadia fired by Channel Seven after 23 years with the network

Veteran TV news producer Richard Cunningham (right) will leave Seven after 36 years, where he worked with David Koch (left)

Veteran TV news producer Richard Cunningham (right) will leave Seven after 36 years, where he worked with David Koch (left)

Of his new appointment, Power said: “The opportunity to lead the Seven News Sydney team into this next chapter is incredibly exciting.”

“We have the best journalists, producers, videographers and editors in the country, in a new state-of-the-art studio and newsroom, and we will continue to put our audience first when we tell the stories that matter most to Sydney.”

In other changes at Seven, Holly Fallon takes on the role of executive producer on Weekend Sunrise, while Chloe Flynn remains executive producer on The Morning Show.

Veteran TV news producer Richard Cunningham is leaving Seven after 36 years.

Cunningham joined the network after a 20-year career in the journalism industry, including work as a correspondent in New York and London.

Channel Seven's director of news and current affairs and editor-in-chief of Seven West Media, Anthony De Ceglie (pictured right with former WA premier Mark McGowan), has moved across the country for his new post.

Channel Seven’s director of news and current affairs and editor-in-chief of Seven West Media, Anthony De Ceglie (pictured right with former WA premier Mark McGowan), has moved across the country for his new post.

The latest changes at Seven in the wake of damning sex and drugs allegations that hit the network's flagship current affairs program Spotlight, following an interview with Bruce Lehrmann (pictured)

The latest changes at Seven in the wake of damning sex and drugs allegations that hit the network’s flagship current affairs program Spotlight, following an interview with Bruce Lehrmann (pictured)

You may also like