The British tourist, 75, becomes the second to die from veteran disease
A 75-year-old man from Huddersfield is the last Brit to die of a suspected veteran disease outbreak in connection with a Bulgarian three-star resort.
Brian Taylor, 75, was hospitalized after his return from a one-week vacation at the Hotel Kalofer on Sunny Beach, Bulgaria.
Taylor visited the popular hotel in June and died a month after his return with & # 39; flu-like symptoms & # 39; they deteriorated.
Brian Taylor, pictured on the right with his wife Nancy Sykes-Taylor, died after a week's holiday in Bulgaria. His family believes that he has contracted a veteran disease in a hotel that is linked to various other issues
John Cowan, 43, pictured, died after contracting veteran disease during his vacation in Bulgaria. His family wants to sue Jet2 for damages after his death on June 19, a week after his return from the Hotel Kalofer in the sunny beach resort of Bulgaria
Mr. Taylor's stepson, Martin Farrell, rightly said: “He fought fit for his vacation, but when I saw him on the Wednesday after he returned, he looked terrible. He was shaking and having a temperature and he didn't talk much about his vacation & # 39;
Yesterday it turned out that John Cowan, 43, from Hamilton, Lanarkshire died after returning from the same resort after he had contracted veteran disease.
He died on June 19 – a week after returning home from the result. His death certificate claimed that he died of & # 39; septic shock & # 39; and & # 39; Legionella pneumonia & # 39 ;.
Mr. Taylor's broken family has instructed specialized lawyers Irwin Mitchell to investigate his case.
His family wants to determine if his death is related to the hotel.
Both Mr. Taylor and Mr. Cowen traveled with Jet2 Holidays, which have been warned by the European Legionnaires & Disease Surveillance Network, that four cases of the disease have been linked back to the hotel.
Jatinder Paul, legal expert at Irwin Mitchell who represents the family, said: & # 39; Brian's entire family is understandably heartbreaking due to their loss and struggles to come to terms with what happened.
& # 39; Because of our work, we are unfortunately all too aware of the devastating consequences of veteran disease and nothing more emphasizes this than Brian's death.
Mr. Taylor, pictured with his wife Nancy Sykes-Taylor, was only on vacation after being admitted to a 41-year-old nursing home with dementia. Farrell said his stepfather would visit his wife in the nursing home every day
& # 39; We are now investigating how Brian contracted his illness and are investigating his stay at Hotel Kalofer. It is extremely worrying that other guests staying in the same hotel also have this potentially fatal infection.
& # 39; Following an outbreak of veteran disease, it is vital that the source is identified as quickly as possible. If members of the public experience any of the symptoms, it is crucial that they seek medical advice immediately.
& # 39; In addition, we would be interested in talking to anyone who has information about the standards at Hotel Kalofer, as they may be able to help us with our investigation. & # 39;
Taylor went on vacation alone on 10 June. His 41-year-old wife, Nancy Sykes-Taylor, 84, has dementia and is in a care home.
He returned on Monday, June 17. Two days later, Mr. Taylor Martin Farrell's stepson stayed with him.
Mr Farrell noticed that his stepfather had a high temperature and was shaking with cold.
The next day he returned home, but called his stepfather, who sounded unwell, had seen his doctor, and received antibiotics. , like he did every Wednesday.
Farrell called his stepfather on June 22, but noted that he had deteriorated and warned his son who lived nearby.
Taylor collapsed and was rushed to the Royal Calderdale Hospital where he stayed for 25 days in intensive care.
Doctors initially diagnosed pneumonia, collapsed lung, and sepsis. They discovered veteran disease on 24 June.
His condition improved somewhat before he died on July 17.
Mr Farrell and Mr Cowan both stayed at Hotel Kalofer on Sunny Beach, Bulgaria. Tour operators Jet 2 said that independent tests found no evidence of veteran disease at the hotel, although they do not accept bookings for the rest of this summer or for the summer of 2020
Mr. Farrell said: & # 39; Brian was very independent; he loved bowling and walking to and from the local club every Saturday. He loved Mama very much and would visit her every day. There was nothing that would stop him from visiting. On Friday, he pulled the car out of the garage to visit Mama, but he couldn't go because he was so unwell.
& # 39; He fought fit before his vacation, but when I saw him on the Wednesday after he returned, he looked terrible. He was shaking and having a temperature and he didn't talk much about his vacation. & # 39;
Mr. Farrell, from Chesterfield, added: “When he collapsed and was admitted to hospital, we couldn't believe it. He had to be sedated and it was terrible to see him in intensive care.
& # 39; We thought he turned a corner at some point, but then the unimaginable happened. It was a complete shock for us all. & # 39;
Mr. Taylor's stepdaughter, Lorraine Williams, 54, added: & We cannot believe what happened. One minute Brian went on vacation and the next he was successful.
Mr. Taylor's family has instructed specialized lawyers Irwin Mitchell to investigate his case
& # 39; Brian was a wonderful man who would do anything for his family. We are deeply saddened by how he died and the fact that he could never say goodbye to Mommy.
& # 39; We cannot thank hospital staff enough for the care they have given Brian. However, we are so worried about what happened during his vacation and whether more should have happened to prevent his illness.
& # 39; We couldn't believe it when we were told that others staying in the same hotel had also tested positive for legionaries.
& # 39; Nothing can make up for Brian's death, but we need to know what happened. & # 39;
Irwin Mitchell also represents a second man who stayed with his wife at Hotel Kalofer between 4 and 11 June.
He was admitted to hospital on his return to the UK and was placed in an induced coma after being diagnosed with legionary disease, pneumonia and sepsis.
He has since been released from the hospital but is facing a long recovery period.
A Jet2 spokesperson said: & # 39; Unfortunately, we can confirm that two customers have recently died shortly after their return to the UK from a holiday in Bulgaria.
& # 39; We would like to express our sincere condolences to their families during this very difficult time, and we have been in constant contact to provide all the help and support we can.
& # 39; The health and safety of our customers is our absolute priority.
& # 39; In response to this, and in support of our investigation, two independent specialists were instructed to take samples from the hotel and a laboratory recognized by UKAS tested the water samples for any contamination.
& # 39; The results of all their tests were negative.
& # 39; We will continue to assist local authorities in their investigations as appropriate.
& # 39; Despite these results, we have taken further precautions, such as other British tour operators at the hotel.
& # 39; We have transferred all customers and all bookings for this summer to other hotels, and we have also stopped selling to the affected hotel for summer 19 and summer 20. & # 39;
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail