The Block star Phil Rankine has dismissed $5 million theft charges

The Block star Phil Rankine has rejected $5 million theft charges after prosecutors took too long to move their case forward

Concert promoter and former reality TV star Phil Rankine has dismissed $5 million in thefts against him.

Rankine, who appeared twice on The Block’s home renovation show, stood before the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday, where Chief Magistrate Mary-Louise Hribal ruled prosecutors had taken too long to advance their case.

Her decision came after the court was told it would take investigators another six months to investigate the allegations against the 52-year-old in Sydney and abroad.

Concert promoter and former reality TV star Phil Rankine (pictured with ex-wife Amity Dry on The Block) has dismissed $5 million in thefts against him

Concert promoter and former reality TV star Phil Rankine (pictured with ex-wife Amity Dry on The Block) has dismissed $5 million in thefts against him

Given that request for more time, Judge Hribal said she was willing to dismiss the charges.

“Should more material come to light over the next six months and the prosecution decides they have enough material to resubmit and take it to the warden, that’s their case,” she said.

‘But it is now eleven months in court, in April the report of a forensic accountant was completed.

“I think that’s enough time.”

Rankine had faced 20 counts of unauthorized property taking, with four of those counts aggravated.

The charges related to money he received from investors, both in Australia and abroad, in 2018 and 2019.

Rankine, who appeared twice on The Block's renovation show, stood before the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday, where Chief Magistrate Mary-Louise Hribal ruled prosecutors had taken too long to advance their case.

Rankine, who appeared twice on The Block's renovation show, stood before the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday, where Chief Magistrate Mary-Louise Hribal ruled prosecutors had taken too long to advance their case.

Rankine, who appeared twice on The Block’s renovation show, stood before the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday, where Chief Magistrate Mary-Louise Hribal ruled prosecutors had taken too long to advance their case.

The court heard earlier that Rankine had falsely claimed that he would bring international stars Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and Rob Thomas to Adelaide, despite allegedly not having the license to promote them.

As a promoter, Rankine had previously brought major acts to SA including Lionel Richie, Bob Dylan and Bon Jovi.

On Tuesday, prosecutors told the court that investigators needed more time to get back to Sydney’s concert promoters to find out the framework around any agreements and contracts entered into with Rankine.

They said that with some of the victims living between the states and abroad, it would also be necessary to speak with them again regarding contracts and agreements being signed.

They said that while they asked for another lengthy postponement, the case was both complex and serious.

Her decision came after the court was told it would take investigators another six months to investigate the allegations against the 52-year-old abroad in Sydney.  Rankine starred with ex-wife Amity Dry (pictured together) on The Block in 2003 and in the All-Stars Edition in 2013

Her decision came after the court was told it would take investigators another six months to investigate the allegations against the 52-year-old abroad in Sydney.  Rankine starred with ex-wife Amity Dry (pictured together) on The Block in 2003 and in the All-Stars Edition in 2013

Her decision came after the court was told it would take investigators another six months to investigate the allegations against the 52-year-old in Sydney and abroad. Rankine starred with ex-wife Amity Dry (pictured together in 2005) on The Block in 2003 and in the All-Stars Edition in 2013

Advertisement

.